Which wetsuit in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasaurus94

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there. My mom and I are going to Fiji this November. From what I can tell, the water is around 79 degrees at this time. I was wondering what thickness of wetsuit we should both wear. I have a 5-mil already, and my mom will need to purchase a wetsuit. I don't want to buy another wetsuit unless I really need to. We both have an average tolerance to cold, but I know that I get chilled toward the end of a weeklong dive vacation.

Any advice is much appreciated!

My opinion (being a tropical diver) is in that temp you could do with no wetsuit or if you really wanted to, a 3mm for a long repetitive dive week.

I dive in our winter (water temp 19-20C which is what, 68F?) with a 5mm suit and I'm toasty warm with no hood.

I dove in Levuka last October, a 3mm suit plus a 2mm vest with hood was enough for me. However when I went to Beqa for shark dive I found it a bit cold as you don't have to move around in a shark dive, just wait and wait...

I did Beqa Lagoon last year about the same time and 3mm full did for both me and the wife.

I don't feel the cold that much but the wife does. She took a thin neo cap sleeve thermo for under the suit but never needed it.

During the shark dive the cold is the last thing on your mind!

Hi live in Fiji and teach diving so am in the water all the time. The temperature in November might be a little less than 79 maybe down to 76-77 below 35 ft.
A lot of people find a 3mm suit keeps them warm and others prefer 5mm. I dive a 3mm in the winter and no suit in the summer.
My suggestion is a good 3mm suit, with a hood and a vest. That way you can add bits if you feel the cold. Bear in mind that a suit needs to fit really well to be effective. I like 3mm surfing suits as they often have more sizes and flexible sections. Best one I ever owned was an O'neil I think.
Cheers
Greg

I was in Fiji May/June '09 with my trusty 3 mil & by the end of the week I was wishing I had my trusty 5 mil with me. You'll be fine with 5 mil. Just don't wear it on the boat ride out or your head will explode.

3mm was absolutely fine in July, not needed for one dive, but appreciated for the second or in between. If you dive 5mm in the lakes, you may get toasted in Fiji !
Once way to avoid getting another suit could be to get a rash gard for the first dive, and get into your 5mm for the other dives if needed.

At Beqa Lagoon November of 2008 I was just fine in a 3mm and I tend to get chilled a little more than many divers. It's so variable from diver to diver, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom