Which VIP course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone explain what value the recert every 3 years has? I guess if they're were new tanks / manf. coming out but most of us dive tanks that are 10-20 years old. Is it just to knock the dust off, or another scuba tax?

I think I read in the beginning TDI didn't have an expiration date?

Not making waves, I don't have any VIP cert.

The recert class was basically the same but abbreviated class focused on updates. For me, it was a good refresher to ensure I had remembered all right stuff. After 3 years of doing my own VIP's it was also a different perspective in the class, I had different questions to ask. All my tanks are old steel '72s so definitely nothing new with them, but I feel it's worth the revisit and any updates in the industry over the last 3 years. Rules/industry views do change, a lot of misinformation is spread online, it's good to get (what I hope are) solid facts to base my next post on. :) The recert was also less money and good for another 3 years. PSI-PCI class.
I've since taken the valve repair and oxygen cleaning classes. I VIP and O2 clean (the nitrox ones) all my tanks. I've never been questioned about the VIP sticker I get made online and stick on the tanks. I have about a dozen tanks + 3 pony bottles now for use between me and my two boys. I think I'm saving some, but overall I just feel more confident knowing exactly what the inside of my tanks look like. I've had past experiences with LDS's that I no longer trust my gear without personal knowledge and inspections. Even a hydro shop I trust, I had to whip a tank I just got back because it was not properly dried and had more surface rust than I like. So now I just get a hydro and inspect (and clean) the tanks myself before closing them up for up to a year.

Can anyone explain what value the recert every 3 years has? I guess if they're were new tanks / manf. coming out but most of us dive tanks that are 10-20 years old. Is it just to knock the dust off, or another scuba tax?

I think I read in the beginning TDI didn't have an expiration date?

Not making waves, I don't have any VIP cert.

PSI-PCI re-cert is a joke. Just a tax that you have to pay every 3 years. I did mine online - no classroom - just an online test with questions that are arcane and mostly meaningless. And shazaam, you're good to go for another 3 years.

Another option... Don Kinney, who wrote the book for TDI/SDI visual inspection procedures.
Cylinder Training Services
Thank you for referencing my agency. The basic knowledge between the courses is similar. How to properly inspect a cylinder and what constitutes an unsafe cylinder. So which course is better? it depends on the student and their needs. Some people might want to try something new, others don't agree with a training agencies philosophies, and others are comfortable with the style and information from their previous class they took, so they stick with what they know. As long as the student is gathering new information, its tough to go wrong. Maybe look at the course subject material to help make your final decision.

The 3 year refresh comes from the government requirement for hazardous materials training. We try and update our material every three years so new information is presented each time someone takes our course. Our latest version delves into breathing air filtration. We mentioned it in the past, and in this version, we added more slides specifically pertaining to that subject. So one reason to take the course every three years would be to update your knowledge. The other reason is that it may be a requirement if you must comply with Hazardous Material Training regulations per your occupation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom