Which type of fins for shore diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with everything that's been said on this thread. Hard-soled booties are a must. Of course, make sure that your open-heeled fins fit them. Any style/brand will do -- no currents to speak of when I was there. If you follow these recommendations, you'll find that this is the easiest (and best) shore diving you've ever done. In comparison to the shore diving here in San Diego, Bonaire was a piece of cake! As for transportation, I would say that you're really short-changing yourself if you don't rent a truck to access the wonderful dive sites north and south of Kralendijk. 1000 Steps was gorgeous at sunset. Alice in Wonderland had an interesting double reef system. My dive buddies and I, however, agreed that Oil Slick Leap was our favorite.
By the way, if it's not too late, I would opt out of the boat dives. I did a 2-tank boat dive while there and found that it just wasn't worth it...especially considering we got an unlimited shore diving package with free nitrox upgrade. (Kinda like going out to eat during college when you've already bought the full meal plan.) With the boat diving, it really emphasized some of the disadvantages of diving in a group with people you don't know. A yahoo on our boat was trying to set some sort of record by swimming as quickly as he could, blowing through all of his air, and then surfacing 30 minutes into the dive! I felt bad for the divemaster who had to chase him down...then surface with him to make sure that he was OK. The rest of us on the boat just poked around in the shallows for about 30 minutes and had a great time.
That being said, one of the best things about Bonaire is diving at your own pace and on your own schedule. Wake up without an alarm. Dive as often as you like. All surface intervals are on land (if you just shore dive) so no need for motion-sickness meds. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Have a great time in Bonaire! :14:

Short of renting a truck, I would think it would be easy enough to arrange some thing with a cabbie regarding p/u at hotel, drive to the site and then p/u a few hours later?

Please advise,

Sy

Bubbletrubble:
I have to agree with everything that's been said on this thread. Hard-soled booties are a must. Of course, make sure that your open-heeled fins fit them. Any style/brand will do -- no currents to speak of when I was there. If you follow these recommendations, you'll find that this is the easiest (and best) shore diving you've ever done. In comparison to the shore diving here in San Diego, Bonaire was a piece of cake! As for transportation, I would say that you're really short-changing yourself if you don't rent a truck to access the wonderful dive sites north and south of Kralendijk. 1000 Steps was gorgeous at sunset. Alice in Wonderland had an interesting double reef system. My dive buddies and I, however, agreed that Oil Slick Leap was our favorite.
By the way, if it's not too late, I would opt out of the boat dives. I did a 2-tank boat dive while there and found that it just wasn't worth it...especially considering we got an unlimited shore diving package with free nitrox upgrade. (Kinda like going out to eat during college when you've already bought the full meal plan.) With the boat diving, it really emphasized some of the disadvantages of diving in a group with people you don't know. A yahoo on our boat was trying to set some sort of record by swimming as quickly as he could, blowing through all of his air, and then surfacing 30 minutes into the dive! I felt bad for the divemaster who had to chase him down...then surface with him to make sure that he was OK. The rest of us on the boat just poked around in the shallows for about 30 minutes and had a great time.
That being said, one of the best things about Bonaire is diving at your own pace and on your own schedule. Wake up without an alarm. Dive as often as you like. All surface intervals are on land (if you just shore dive) so no need for motion-sickness meds. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Have a great time in Bonaire! :14:

sytech:
Short of renting a truck, I would think it would be easy enough to arrange some thing with a cabbie regarding p/u at hotel, drive to the site and then p/u a few hours later?

Please advise,

Sy

Not something I would consider, these sites are a little remote-2 to 6 miles out of town and it's hot with little shade. Not some place I would want to trust a cabbie to pick me up at....not likely a cabbie would want wet divers in his cab anyway :)

The next best option I would suggest would be to try and join up with someone at your resort that does have a vehicle and travel around with them. Share/buy the gas and/or beer. I have "picked up" other non-driving divers in the past. IMO it's part of the fun of travel to dive and meet new people. To find someone, you might try asking on Bonaire Talk. I have gotten several buddies for the week that way. www.bonairetalk.com
You are really short changing yourself if you don't have transportation while on Bonaire, both from a diving and an eating perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom