Which tanks should I keep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

osd9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all:

I've been diving ~3 years, mostly Jersey coast wreck diving and some WWW trips. Also, this will be my first year diving a local quary (Dutch Springs). I am also buying my first drysuit this March so that I can extend my local diving on both ends of the local season. I dive a black diamond BC with a single tank & Pony configuration. Like many divers, I started diving at 50 and my original intention was to just be able to do some underwater mainteance on my boat. Well....like everyone hear, I fell in love with the sport.

So, to my original post/question.....I've bought (all used) six tanks, not icluding my pony (30cu). I have two PST HP100s, one OMS LP 108, two Faber LP 95s and one Catalina Al80. All are Nitrox cleaned. I intend to store the AL80 on my boat and buy a used reg and BC to just keep on board for emergency boat stuff. I would like to keep four tanks for regular diving.

My question is....should I keep two HP100's and two LP95's and sell the OMS 108 OR should I keep all three of the LP tanks, sell the two HP100's and then buy one LP 95/108? I've thought about going doubles, but that would be a whole different configuration, and my budget is already getting stretched.

Personally, I like the HP100's but getting a full fill is always an issue. The LP 95's ALWAYS end up with more cu ft of gas then the HP 100's. I would like to keep all the same diameter tanks to avoid having to constantly change the strap on the BC.

Am I thinking on the right track? Is there something I'm not considering? Any opinions and suggetions are appreciated.

Last edited:
If you think you may end up with your own compressor, the LP tanks are friendlier as 2640 is a full fill and 3000 psi is a nice overfill without pushing your compressor much farther.

In terms of tank band issues, that would be a strong argument for getting rid of the HP 100's and staying with only 8" diameter tanks.

In my experience I seem to get 3500-3600 psi fills in mine, so underfilling it not an issue with my HP 100's.

I have both double 100's and double 95's. I use the 95's for cave diving in florida where they get 3600-3700 psi fills and are in essence 130's. I use the double HP 100's boat diving everywhere else as they are a bit lighter and easier to bring back on board a boat in heavy swells. The nice part is that the buoyancy and trim is similar with both 95's and HP 100's so I don't need to adjust weights at all. That is in my opinon more important than tank diameter, even with a single tank.

A 108 is large and heavy. I'd sell it anyway regardless of what you decide to keep.

Definitely won't be getting my own compressor so that's at least one variable out of the way.

Right now, I'm inclinded to sell the 100's and the 108 and look for two good used lp95's....

I appreciate the feedback.

Definitely won't be getting my own compressor so that's at least one variable out of the way.

Right now, I'm inclinded to sell the 100's and the 108 and look for two good used lp95's....

I appreciate the feedback.

Please let me know when/if you are getting rid of the 100's.
thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom