Which Tank to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With more and more diving trips/outings planned I've come to the conclusion I would like to own my own tank/tanks rather than rent the AL80 from the LDS.

After doing some research on the board and other sites the PST HP tanks are looking very attractive. Lower total weight, smaller size and better bouyancy over AL. I also like the fact that they are hot dipped for better longevity. I would like to buy a single tank now and maybe add a second or more later with the thought of going with doubles at some point down the line. I don't want to buy something now that wouldn't work as well with doubles as a different type or size of tank.

I'm thinking of either the HP100 or HP120 but have read that most mixed gas usage is better with LP tanks. I imagine that the HP tanks could be used under standard working pressure easier than visa versa. Are there any compelling reasons to use one size of tank over the other? I don't like the idea of double LP104 with a total weight of 90#s where as the double HP100s weigh in at 62#.

Am I thinking right here or missing something? I understand that by going with the HP type of tank I must convert my reg to a DIN from the yoke, and will then keep the yoke as well as spare o-rings for the save-a-dive kit for long distance trips, etc.

Any opinions or helpful insights?

I would not buy a single tank with the notion of "doubling it up" at some time in the future. Buy the tank to suit the application as, even if you have doubles at some time, you will still want singles.

I would also not buy a heavy steel tank for a single. I have 2 SP 3000 psi 80s that are great for single tank diving as they are short, balance well, and can be pumped up if need be. I also don't need the capacity of a large steel, so why carry it? My doubles are LP-95s because they serve a different purpose.

If you do decide on a heavy steel, look strongly at the new tanks from PST. I don't care for HP tanks, but YMMV.

Phil

You can always get a couple AL80s and then double those up later...that's what I did (and most of my buddys as well)..

I would go with LP steels over the HP. They're easier to get filled to or over capacity and they have better buoyancy characteristics. I prefer PST over other brands.

Tom

As the Ringster said, Al's are a good option, especially if your diving wet, Double steels can get a bit heavy for a wetsuit.

If you can get Al80's with a DIN Manifold valve already installed (left OR right post), you can plug up the manifold hole, and be ready to double it up without any major fuss.

Its a great way to have 2 usable single Al80's than can be doubled up in a matter of minutes, without any huge costs.

If you plan on going Dry, or doing more technical diving, then you may want to look into steels, and as mentioned LP's are a better proposition IMHO. (for what its worth)

Dave

To me it doesn’t make sense to buy AL80s if you’re diving singles. There are several dive shops in the area that rent AL80s for only a $1 more than a fill and by renting them, you don’t have to worry about, or pay for, maintenance. If your going to use them as stages or doubles that’s another story as I’ve never seen anywhere that rents stage slung or doubles.

I wanted more capacity than 80s as I was more often than not the one to call the dive based on gas. Rarely if ever was I able to approach the NDL before having to ascend based on gas. So I purchased two PST HP120s. I love ‘em. I’ve never had difficulty getting a fill to 3500 psi with air or Nitrox either locally or at the NC coast. Perhaps it’s personal preference but I prefer the characteristics of HP tanks over LP.

I wouldn’t worry about doubling them up. From what I have seen the HP tanks have good resale value and you would be able to get most of your money back if you decide to sell them and get doubles instead.

Mike

I have 2 Catalina 3300 Al80's. They a re great. Nice balance & great bouyancy. Check Catalina's web site for more info on there 3300psi tanks. I will be buying a set of modular Int. DIN valves for them so I can put H valve's on them for Intro. I like having my own tanks instead of renting. I know how mine are taken care of, I don't have to depend on "Oh no... I gotta get to the Shop & rent tanks before they close" or "I have to get these back before I'm charged an extra day". Just makes life easier.

However. I am looking @ the PST 100's & 120's. I would rather have the capacity + lighter in weight verses the CAPACITY + HEAVY weight. I'm 5'-9", but my back can't take that anymore. It's nearly a 1/4 mile hike to Jug Hole @ Itch. That a haul when you have 50# of steel, not including the air & valve.

JMHO

Around here, almost all AL80 rentals are yoke...the only time I have gotten DIN rentals are either HP tanks or a few shops (notably Olympus in NC) that rent 200 bar yoke/DIN donut valves. I hate switching my reg over or using an adapter.

Thanks all for the responses so far.

I would also not buy a heavy steel tank for a single.
I agree with the weight issue, that is one of the reasons the HP tanks appealed to me. If I recall, the PST SP100 weighs less than the AL80.

WreckWriter
I would go with LP steels over the HP. They're easier to get filled to or over capacity and they have better buoyancy characteristics. I prefer PST over other brands.

Can you explain how the LP are eaiser to get filled over the HP. I assume some LDS have lower pressure compressors that will not go to 3500psi. I understand that the PST LP have an empty bouyancy of -.7 and the HP is -1.7. Is this enough of an variance that you like them better? Or is there something else?

MikeS
To me it doesn’t make sense to buy AL80s if you’re diving singles. There are several dive shops in the area that rent AL80s for only a $1 more than a fill and by renting them, you don’t have to worry about, or pay for, maintenance.

Your right with a $1 difference that doesn't seem worth it to me either. Around here the difference is more like $5. Which isn't a lot, but like thethumper I also like to know where my equipment has been and what its history is. The Catalina cylinders look like they may be an option, especially with their "neutral" bouyancy.

O-ring
Around here, almost all AL80 rentals are yoke...the only time I have gotten DIN rentals are either HP tanks or a few shops (notably Olympus in NC) that rent 200 bar yoke/DIN donut valves. I hate switching my reg over or using an adapter.

This is one of the main problems I see with have a HP tank or tanks. I can't see taking tanks on a major trip and would have to change the fitting at that point at a minimum or any time I needed to rent. There is another reason for having more than one tank, or as many as you need for a days diving between fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom