Which Salvo Light LED or HID

Which would you buy? Reasons welcome

• Give me the HID

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • I'd take LED

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Its tax season and I'm thinkin about putting some of my $$$ towards a salvo canister light. I was sold originally on LED technology but when I called Salvo and asked some questions he suggested I go HID because in the higher wattage lights, HID performs better and the bulbs today are far more durable.

The cost is close between the two so I'm not worried about that, I dont however want to replace a HID bulb every year or something extreme like that. My gear gets used and abused to some extent so durability is a huge factor. Durability was so much a factor I was going to go with Solus lighting but threw the idea out the window a while back.

so here is a simple poll. If you were going to buy one of the solus lights in the 21W range do you go for the HID or the LED.

T

HID for sure. It's brighter and has a tighter spot. It's really a no-lose proposition at this point in time.

I should also have added that its going to be used primarily in cold dark crappy water with viz in the zero to 15 foot range. put yourself in my fins, per say.

NWD,
I agree with Gombessa.
I've seen the LED light in similar conditions and the HID is better. I could see the light alright but the beam wasn't as tight as a HID.

I think the technology is improving all the time and perhaps in a few years it'll supplant HIDS but right now I think HID still has the .. edge.

I should also have added that its going to be used primarily in cold dark crappy water with viz in the zero to 15 foot range. put yourself in my fins, per say.

Then DEFINITELY get the HID. The higher output focused in a tighter beam is really going to punch through murky viz better than the more diffuse LED light.

In addition to the clear points made above, LED has a very limited spectrum, using the blue diode as the source, then getting white light from phosphoresent coatings on the LED lens, which is why it's a "bluish" light - same concept as fluorescent office lighting makes your skin look like a cadaver. Fluorescent bulbs use blue gas (argon, I think), with very little mercury, and shine white with the phosphorescent powder coating the inside.

I like the full light output of an actual burning arc like the HID. Proof is in photos or video shot with HID vs LED. Not very important for some, but I like the brilliant reds and yellows to pop when I see them underwater.

HID bulbs use mercury vapor too, but its exited into a hotter plasma state than fluorescents creating a fuller spectral output.

Its tax season and I'm thinkin about putting some of my $$$ towards a salvo canister light.

I don't understand the premise of your post...

:eyebrow:

If you're worried about bulb longevity, I can tell you my Salvo HID is 3 years old, has close to 600 dives on it, gets thrown in the dive tub, dragged around seawalls, scraped along cave walls, and generally gets treated with very little respect. I've had one issue with the light, and it wasn't the bulb, and Salvo took care of it so fast that it was out of my hands about six days, including shipping both ways. I don't know what was wrong with the light, because Salvo fixed it (and shortened the cord at my request) and didn't charge me anything or send any invoice.

I'd get the Salvo HID. I love mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom