Which reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SUPERSTARDJ01

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried the Apek XTX40/50 and I wasn't over impressed, I know they're good and everything and I had nothing against them but I wanted some opinions on the below as to get an XTX40 package is £404 so over budget I've found some seemingly better regs cheaper.

First maybe not better but a better deal, any views on these?
http://www.simplyscuba.com/packages/...95RegPack.aspx

also as I'm planning to do an Ice diving qualification I've found a set of Aqualung legend glacia 1st (with DIN), 2nd and octopus for £299.

Scubapro MK2 Plus/R295 regulator with R295 Octo and twin console
with DIN or A-Clamp first stage. for £319 my least fav.

Aqua Lung
Titan LX Supreme Reg with Titan Octo for £239

Aqualung Titan LX regulator with DIN or A-Clamp first stage and Titan Octopus £299

This will be my first reg and I want a cold water reg the best I can afford max £320, I have a console although depth doesn't work I have a watch for that any how.

Your opinions please.

MK 2 is not an option as its not sealed and will not be my first choice for your requirements. It is a great bulletproof workhorse but not optimal for your purpose
Aqualung makes great regs and I think both glacia and titan will work.

As for the apeks by default xtx50 comes with a dst first. If you get a ds4 or us4 first it will be cheaper. I also find that apekses have a great resale value at least here in canada

Aqualung makes a durable, dependable regulator. I have some that were made back in the 1970s that are still going strong.

Regulator choices are quite broad, and asking what should I buy is the equivalent of asking "What car should I buy ?" everybody has their opinion. that being said, the XTX50 is a great regulator, it's a staple for the technical divers, it's at home in the cold like it is in the warm. You could do worse than the XTX50. The Glacia is also a great choice so is the Titan as long as it's the "Supreme" version.

You can get a Hog D1 (Cold WateR) singles tank kit with octo bungee and 2" Black BAR SPG from DRIS for $542USD (£344). That'll be a DIN reg with Yoke adapter for when you travel.

I don't know if they ship international but I know ScubaToys does and their pricing is probably similar. Either way, the Hog D1 is a really good cold water reg and it's only £20 over your budget. They also have a great open policy with regards to learning how to rebuild regs yourself and making parts available through the supply channels.

For ice diving as you will need doubles, or a single with an h-valve, 2 1st stages, 2 good 2nd stages, drysuit, hood, training.. blah blah blah.. the regs are the cheap part.

If you were not impressed with the apeks it was likely not tuned properly, or there is no pleasing you.

Apeks diphram enviro seal, many x50, fst/dst, tech3.. whatever
Zeagle 7 with enviro seal
Sealed/lubed Atomic M1's
Poseiden extreme's

That really is your choice of good regs that are respectable IMO that I'd dive in ice.

I have had my HOG's under the ice and will have them in 38 - 40 degree farenheit water this weekend. And I do ship international via usps which is often a third of ups or fedex. PM me for a quote.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Of the regs you listed maybe the titan LX supreme for 239 is the best deal. I'm not sure why you list the LX (not supreme) right after for 60 (pounds?) more. Even though the mk2 is not sealed, it has a great cold water reputation; it's not like balanced piston regs. Still, there's no reason it should be more expensive than the titan, and I'm not a huge fan of the R295.

Ice diving is pretty serious stuff. Got a drysuit? If not, prepare yourself for some sticker shock. It'll make buying a reg seem like a moderately expensive lunch.

If you were not impressed with the apeks it was likely not tuned properly, or there is no pleasing you.

A properly set up Apeks reg will breathe as well as any reg you care to name. There's a reason they are the most common regs seen at any UK divesite, and it's not just because they're cheap.

There's a good deal on Apeks ATX40/DS4 regs with an octo for £199.95, offer ends 23.00 BST tonight. Use the code STANSDEAL to get the discount. If you miss the deadline, same regs here for £245

Back
Top Bottom