Which package is "better"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for the third time... luckily these answers getting briefer and briefer

If you want to do tech/cave/murky diving, buy something like the Predator 220's with a goodman handle. Only need one handle, not two. Or light sock, same thing.
Reasons:
If you've ever drove through a blizzard with your high beams on, you'll know it doesn't work so well. That's what the pistol grip lights do in murky water

If you only intend to do clear ocean reef night dives where there is little to no particulates in the water, then the Princeton package is plenty alright.

You don't need a glotoob, you can use the el cheapo cracking glow sticks, they work fine, and I use them on a regular basis, as do buddies.

That lil bitty backup light isn't going to do you much good for seeing things, but oh well.

Think of the primary lights as a shotgun.
You use shells, you don't really hit your exact target because of the wash, but will cover everything int he path, same is true with pistol grips. No hot spot, just a nice wide even wash of light. You use a slug, you're going to decimate whatever it hits, and nothing around it is affected. Sort of similar to a Can light or the cave backup lights. They have a nice tight beam for signalling.

I used the Princeton Tec pistol grip a lot this summer. It's a great light. I was doing fish observations and didn't want to get another light head for my can. It worked great for that. Big drawback is you lose that hand for any tasks

I do want to do tech/cave/murky but its not going to be anytime soon. So I'll probably go with the Princeton setup until I am ready to do caves and tech. Thanks everyone.

the third time was because it kept saying i wasn't signed in and wouldn't post anything, not for repeating myself

At that price, you can't really go wrong though. You can always keep the glotoob for any night dives and I have seen tech divers use them before. Not commonplace but I've seen them. Helps distinguish which buddy is which or which dive team is which real quick if you have different colors. The backup light can always be carried as well. I know divers that carry 3 or 4 backups. the extra in their pockets instead of on the harness

How bright are the Piranha "RED" Lightening LED Beacons? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom