Which package is "better"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Instead of buying dive lights individually, I have decided to go with a manufacturer package and narrowed the choices to 2.

I know what I get depends on my dive conditions, but ceteris paribus (thats latin for all things being constant), which would be a "better" buy?

1. Underwater Kinetic "Underwater Fathom Pak" or

2. Princeton Tec "Island Pack"?

The UK gives me 3 lights (2 xenons) and a beacon for about $100 and the PT gives me 2 LED lights and and ECO flare (whatever that is) for $40 more. Which is better value for money? What should I be considering?

Thanks in advance.

The beacon is supposed to be attached to your body so your buddy or fellow diver can see "you" in low visibility water. I am not sure about the eco flare but I am assuming its for the same use. If it is, it probably can be used to attach to the tank for identification during a night dive.

Interesting. Wouldn't your buddy just be able to see the light from your primary light?

How bright are these beacon things, and do they flash or what?

OP -- My wife and I both bought UK kits when we first started diving here in the Pacific Northwest (cold, dark and low visibility). We still have a couple of the "minor" lights that were in those packs but the primaries have long been sold.

My guess is that you will be better off by looking for specific lights rather than a package -- but that depends on WHY you are buying one, what diving you think you'll be doing and where.

I've been diving with many people who use the UK (and other) "pistol grip" primary lights. They work but have severe limitations in many instances (not very bright, not very focused, pistol grip unwieldy, etc.).

You may not have heard of a thing called a "Goodman Handle" but they allow you to put the light on the back of your hand with then frees up the hand for other uses. There are variations of the solid handle, sometimes called "socks," that let you use a small light and I believe that is a much better solution than the type of light you'll get in a package.

For example, I have, and really like, this light (as a backup but could be used as a beginner primary) -- Dorcy

And here is a link to a Light Sock

For example, I have, and really like, this light (as a backup but could be used as a beginner primary) -- Dorcy

And here is a link to a Light Sock

Hi Peter,

Thanks! Looking at the Dorcy, it seems they are similar looking to the Princeton Tec's secondary except the the PT are LEDs. Any comments to using LEDs?

I do understand that buying individual lights are always the best way to go since you can mix and match what you need, but at the moment, being relative new to diving, I just need something to get by and both these packs look like a good deal, but I just need a push in one direction or the other :wink:

for the beacon deallies, they do make it easier for surface spotters and they're quite bright.
Glo-Toobs & LED Light Sticks Piranha Dive Manufacturing
I have the FX model there, has different flashing options which helps my buddy distinguish me and vice versa in a group. Never actually needed it, but we use them in buddy groups and have them flashing differently so from the surface we can tell which group is which.

LED Lighting Products Piranha Dive Manufacturing
Check out the predator 220's on there two. GREAT lights. Buddy uses them for backups, and they could be used as a small primary, no problem. When we're sidemounting we'll both mount two of them on our helmet instead of bringing a canister.
I use the Mini Deep Star's as my backups and they're great lights too, especially for the price. $25 for a bright LED, twist on, metal housing, and uses normal batteries... Can't complain about that

+1 on the Goodman handle vs. Pistol grip. With the Goodman handle you still have full use of your hand.

So for $140 from Piranha you get the Glotoob FX deally, and two Penetrator 220's with a Goodman handle on one of them. Much higher quality lights, and much more versatile in the long run. Penetrator 220 is a bit brighter than the Dorcy as well. My buddies have been on about 150 ish night/cave dives with no problems down to 200ft, and my mini Deep Stars have about the same on them.
Same price, higher quality lights. Can be used forever. These suckers are built to last and there's something to be said about that

LED is the way to go. No bulb worries, ever. Sometimes not quite as focused as an equivalent HID, but the lights you posted are real broad and not really good for a whole lot.... The other thing to think about is this. These lights we mentioned, Dorcy and Predator, are significantly brighter than the pistol grip lights, which is a plus on it's own. The second bit, is that they are a LOT smaller. You can clip one of these to a D-Ring or stick it in a pocket, and not have to worry about it getting broken on a diveboat or hit on something else. With a Pistol grip, they're huge, they get knocked around a whole lot, and are just an overall pain...

for the beacon deallies, they do make it easier for surface spotters and they're quite bright.
Glo-Toobs & LED Light Sticks Piranha Dive Manufacturing
I have the FX model there, has different flashing options which helps my buddy distinguish me and vice versa in a group. Never actually needed it, but we use them in buddy groups and have them flashing differently so from the surface we can tell which group is which.

LED Lighting Products Piranha Dive Manufacturing
Check out the predator 220's on there two. GREAT lights. Buddy uses them for backups, and they could be used as a small primary, no problem. When we're sidemounting we'll both mount two of them on our helmet instead of bringing a canister.
I use the Mini Deep Star's as my backups and they're great lights too, especially for the price. $25 for a bright LED, twist on, metal housing, and uses normal batteries... Can't complain about that

+1 on the Goodman handle vs. Pistol grip. With the Goodman handle you still have full use of your hand.

So for $140 from Piranha you get the Glotoob FX deally, and two Penetrator 220's with a Goodman handle on one of them. Much higher quality lights, and much more versatile in the long run. Penetrator 220 is a bit brighter than the Dorcy as well. My buddies have been on about 150 ish night/cave dives with no problems down to 200ft, and my mini Deep Stars have about the same on them.
Same price, higher quality lights. Can be used forever. These suckers are built to last and there's something to be said about that

LED is the way to go. No bulb worries, ever. Sometimes not quite as focused as an equivalent HID, but the lights you posted are real broad and not really good for a whole lot.... The other thing to think about is this. These lights we mentioned, Dorcy and Predator, are significantly brighter than the pistol grip lights, which is a plus on it's own. The second bit, is that they are a LOT smaller. You can clip one of these to a D-Ring or stick it in a pocket, and not have to worry about it getting broken on a diveboat or hit on something else. With a Pistol grip, they're huge, they get knocked around a whole lot, and are just an overall pain...

So you use the Penetrator 200 as your primary? What did your buddy use as a primary since he uses that as a backup?

We use them as our primaries if we're not bringing a can with us. I use the mini deep stars as backups or even as primaries if I'm doing reef diving where I don't want a really tight spot that'll scare the fishies. The wash isn't nearly as wide as a Pistol grip light, so you won't get the whole video light spread going on, but at the same time they are much smaller and easier to carry and manage

The Princeton Tec package is down to $99 now, still think its not as good a deal as the others? The main lightis 33 lumens, LED.

Back
Top Bottom