Votes: 10 38.5%
  • cobra not worth extra 300 for intragrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • buy another dive computer

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ok hear the dell for roughly 9-- can get the cobra and roughly 500 can get the viper basicly its 300 moe to get corbra and from what i see its just got air intergrated would you go with the cobra please let me know why and ect thanks need info so i purchuse the right one thanks

If I had to choose between the two I'd get the Vyper (which I own BTW) because it's wristmountable. If I wanted air integration I'd again pass on the Cobra and opt for the new Vytec because it's wristmountable but in my opinion Air Integration is unnecessary.:)

Try www.simplyscuba.com - you can get the Vyper for roughly $280 US plus shipping (after 17.5% VAT deducted) if budget is a major factor. The Vyper can be either wrist or console mounted. The Cobra is console only, and would be a good choice if you want the air integration features in a console computer. The Vyper is not air integrated, however the very similar Vytec (also wrist mounted) does have air integration - but it's around $800 to $1000.

Personally I prefer wrist mounted instruments and a seperate SPG. However a lot of lobster collectors prefer console mounted instruments to avoid damaging a wrist mounted computer while shoving their hands down a lobster hole.

Originally posted by medic13
roughly 9-- can get the cobra and roughly 500 can get the viper basicly its 300 moe to get corbra and from what i see its just got air intergrated

For better pricing, you can look on ebay - Vypers are going for $280-340 depending if it's console mounted or not (though someone got bidding frenzy real bad last week and paid $440 for a Vyper console!). Cobras are running $420-480, depending if there's a compass on it or not. These are all new in box - used runs cheaper. Also be aware that Vyper consoles have changed recently and look more like Cobras, so there are more "older" model Vyper consoles showing up.

Most of these are from regular sellers on ebay who have excellent feedback. If ebay worries you, the suggestion to check out the European online retailers is a good one. They offer a warranty, though you do have to return it to them in Europe. But their pricing is much better than Leisure Pro, who offers their own warranty.

Suunto will not honor the warranty directly to anyone who buys off the internet, which is why LP offers their own, or you ship it back to Europe to those retailers. Some people have said the warranty peace of mind is worth the extra money. Personally I took the chance and haven't had any issues yet.

Marc

Don’t forget that with a Viper you will need an SPG that you don’t need with the Cobra. Based on pricing from DiveInn there is only a $66 delta. I think that air integration is well worth $66.

Cobra $416

Viper $290
Suunto SPG $60
Total $350

Delta $66

While not everyone prefers air integration I think that it’s great for two reasons:

1. It provides estimated remaining air time, which while not a substitute for monitoring air pressure, is useful during a dive. I especially like being able to compare the remaining air time with the remaining NDL time. It also allows me to track my surface air consumption rate.

2. I like having everything attached to my BC (with the exception of mask, fins, and gloves which can’t). This reduces the complexity of getting ready for a dive. While putting on a wrist mounted computer is no big deal, it’s one more complication I prefer to do without. It’s also one more thing that can get lost after you take it off between dives to take your wetsuit off.

Mike

My buddy just picked up a Cobra, the quick disconnect kit, and the download module for a STEAL at www.leisurepro.com. They are right in New York!

I just checked and the Cobra is in stock for $415.00!

Can't beat it!
Tom

Bottom line either way they are great computers (IMO) I couldnt decide whether I wanted the Air integration or not the first go around so I went with the Vyper.......Then we purchased new gear for my wife and at that time I upgraded ,so to speak, to the Cobra (wife dives the Vyper). I also thought of the New Vytec but really didnt feel like spending that kind of money. Plus if your leery of the computerized pressure gauge the hoseless transmitter adds another uncertain variable.....At least thats how I see it (wouldnt mind it in conjunction with a standard setup though :))

Great comments for pros and cons, but it really comes down to personal preference. Something I like about the Cobra is adding a compass to the end of it makes it a real nice, compact, all in one unit........I had the compass on the end of the Vyper and it was a little large (3 gauges over 2). I also like to control buttons better on the Cobra as they dont take as much pressure to actuate....
I'm also thinking of the bayonet /quick disconnect so only the gauge ends up at the computer for download time/logbook recording.

Good Luck!!!

Originally posted by Finesse
I'm also thinking of the bayonet /quick disconnect so only the gauge ends up at the computer for download time/logbook recording.

I think that's my next purchase as well. My Dive Manager just arrived today, and after downloading with the computer attached to the first stage with all the regs and hoses, I think it'll be worth it. DiveInn has it for $49 plus $9 shipping.

Marc

I think I would buy the Vyper because I already have a A.I. non-nitrox computer but the Vyper would give me Nitrox capabilities.

Caymaniac

I bought the vytec because I wanted Air Integration and Wrist mount. If I had to choose I rather have the vyper wrist mounted.

Back
Top Bottom