Which of these islands has the best dives? (St Thomas, St John, St Kitt)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info. So it's either winging it at Coki beach or admiralty (which I might have used many years ago... It was someone who picked us up and dropped us off right in front of the cruise pier from their boat).

So is navigation on coki Beach's Reefs easy? No swimming in the blue to the reef? As easy as Bonaire?

I could not recommend Coki as easy navigation. It isn't a defined reef like Bonaire. It's not swim to the reef/mooring ball, drop, burn 1/3 of your tank, turn, swim back to the mooring or unique coral head and turn to shore. St. T is irregular coast lines making even simple navigating a challenge. As diversteve said there is enough current that he & a buddy were swept around the point. I used local guides (solo traveler) who knew when to turn to avoid that and where to go to get out of the current.

Heres a quick paste from maps - the orang-y part marked Coki beach is flat sand. It's higher elevation rock & vegetation as you head out and around the point. Fail to navigate and you are either swept to wherever the current takes you, or facing a long surface swim back.

upload_2018-12-7_16-46-13.png

coki-point.jpg

I'm intrigued by the pig at Admiralty! I'd want to see that on the dive boat :).

I could not recommend Coki as easy navigation. It isn't a defined reef like Bonaire. It's not swim to the reef/mooring ball, drop, burn 1/3 of your tank, turn, swim back to the mooring or unique coral head and turn to shore. St. T is irregular coast lines making even simple navigating a challenge. As diversteve said there is enough current that he & a buddy were swept around the point. I used local guides (solo traveler) who knew when to turn to avoid that and where to go to get out of the current.

Heres a quick paste from maps - the orang-y part marked Coki beach is flat sand. It's higher elevation rock & vegetation as you head out and around the point. Fail to navigate and you are either swept to wherever the current takes you, or facing a long surface swim back.

View attachment 492986

View attachment 493004

I'm intrigued by the pig at Admiralty! I'd want to see that on the dive boat :).

Attachments

• abbi 2.jpeg
    abbi 2.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 97
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom