Which new reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kfish64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for some advice. I'm getting back into diving (I'm a DM but haven't been wet for 17 years) and my wife is on the verge of taking her OW. I've started looking around at BCs and regs -- thanks to everyone for their help with my BC questions on my intro post. Now, on to the regs. In my former life, I started with a Sherwood Magnum, and I never had a single problem with it. After using and abusing it for maybe 10 years, I changed to a USD Conshelf SEA, which also was very good, though honestly a tiny bit more prone to "issues" than the Sherwood. I couldn't afford Poseidon or SP at the time, and Cressi wasn't as well established in N. America back then.

Looking around online at various regs, both old manufacturers (Scubapro, Cressi, etc) and new (Atomic, Halcyon, etc), I've tentatively picked 2 for further consideration:

1. Scubapro MK25 S600 Black Tech -- this one piqued my curiousity because I found a non-current version clearance priced at a LDS somewhat nearby. Regular Cdn price of $1100 reduced to $699 (approx US equivalent of $840 / $534). Seems like a good price, esp given what I've managed to find on US websites (though these may be more current versions). Any historical reviews I've found say it's a fantastic reg, except for perhaps VERY cold water diving. And years ago when I was diving, SP was a respected brand.

2. Sherwood SR2 -- though I've read numerous reviews of Sherwood's prior version of this reg (the SR1), which were unilaterally NOT favourable, the one and only review I've found for the current SR2 is overwhelmingly VERY favourable.

Halcyon -- I suppose I could check them out (build quality likely very good) but my isolated experience with trying on one of their BCs didn't leave me wanting more. While they may be a top-notch manufacturer, they may not be for me -- I just don't know.

Atomic -- a little rich for my needs, I think.

Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris -- Hollis seems more of the tech line, so not for me. As for O/A, I've for some reason never looked at Oceanic as a reg company; just BCs and computers. No rational reason for this.

Aqualung -- based on my 17-years-ago experience with my USD Conshelf, they aren't the brand who springs to the top of my list.

Cressi or Mares or ...... -- no experience whatsoever with any of the "Euro" brands.

My intended use will be strictly travel/tropical use. I did enough cold water/drysuit diving in my former life, and have no desire to re-visit it.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice/commentary. Thanks!!!

I have an AquaLung Legend LX Supreme as my primary reg set and an Apeks XTX50 on my pony. They both breathe very nicely. There is also the advantage of being able to get them serviced pretty much anywhere since both brands are very widely used. If you're looking at regs for travel use, availability of repair overseas might be something to consider.

The atomic z2 is pretty reasonably priced and breathes the same as their silly expensive regs.

Removed post as I did not originally notice you were only going to dive warm water.

Halcyon regs are manufactured by Scubapro. Somewhere on this site someone posted the model equivalencies.

Aeris is a discontinued brand, recently absorbed back into Oceanic. I don't see any reason not to get them at a good price but parts may be an issue in the future.

I don't see the advantage of the Black Tech except that it is black. I wonder how scratch resistant the coating is. Obviously there's no performance difference so if the price is better on it than the current MK25/S600 EVO - your call...

I think of Sherwood the way you think of Aqualung. I usually never consider them - although I understand they've been around longer than just about anyone.

For tropical diving within recreational depths of 100 and shallower, any entry level regulator should be sufficient. I would not spend loads to get a Ferrari if it was tropical diving in less than 100 feet. Atomic Z series is their cheapest model and it performs like the top end ones. If you would like to spend a little more than most entry level models then Atomic Z series would be worthy of those extra bucks.

Some personal bias as I have one for sale but do not be afraid to look on the used market for an Atomic Reg. Typically the price is well off new retail and after being fully rebuilt are just like new. I bought a couple Ti regs for traveling and upgrade/updated them at 1/3 the cost of a new one.

What did you do with your old regs? If you still have them, then use them.

Be careful, Scubapro is one of those 'Euro' regs (they're manufactured in Italy.)

I'll throw up he Deep Six Regs into the mix. I have a set on loan from a friend to trial. I posted a review in the Reg area.

I put them against my current regs, Aqualung Lux supreme, which may have been a bit unfair, given my regs retail in the US for $1200, and apparently one of the best whereas the Deep Six are $525 for a complete single tank set

While I wasn't blown away, it really came down to some minor preferences. Over all I think they're a well built bit of kit and I won't hesitate to recommend them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom