Which Motor for a 14' Inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a family member or friend in AZ or NV that could take delevery and then a long day trip anf you have your motor.

Good idea Donnie, FWIW i'm in AZ and will be in Long Beach for the adventures in travel expo Feb 11th (the weekend of). If they'll ship it to AZ, I can load it in the truck and bring it over for you. (How big is it again?) All i'd ask for is a few bucks for gas and some diving off the boat some day.... PM if you want to work something out

i personally owned for 7 years a yamaha 25 hp 2 stroke. never any problems and it ws in salt water here in the bay of fundy for that period of time. its oil/fuel ratio was 100/1 with this mixture of oil to gas the smell was vertually eliminated. plenty of power, and excellent reliability. i recently sold the motor locally and the new owner is very pleased with it . i now run a 50 yamaha high thrust four stroke that i have had for 5 years. it is used every day from october until april and apart from oil changes is is practically indestrucable. most of the fishermen around here either run, yamaha or honda and both are equal whne it comes to proformance and fuel economy. i would have no hesitation in buying another yamaha. check out ebay for the 25 hp 2 stroke lots of em on there and they are pretty had to kill and resonably priced as well. you can also find several smaller 4 strokes on there.

Well, I finally got my trailer ordered and it should be here within two weeks. Now I need to decide on the motor. I was leaning towards the Tohatsu/Nissan 25/30, but after talking to the Mercury Rep at the boat show, I'm considering the Merc 4-stroke 25hp with the electric start. The Mercury claims to be 20lbs. lighter. What is everyone's opinion on the quality and reliability of the Mercury vs. the Tohatsu.

Also, do you just use the prop that comes with the motor, or do you swap it out? How do you decide which prop to use? The Mercury dealer wants $300 to take the boat to the lake to fiqure out which prop to use with my boat.

Booth22,
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it is wise to send a $3300 motor to a complete stranger.

Stoddu

As for quality of the motor they are both great manufactures I’ve never head either motor in that horsepower range so can’t speak about that particular motor but both companies on whole are great.

As for the issue of the props I would take him up on it. I’ve never used the prop they sent to me as my final prop it’s always been to big. If you had a tach I would save the $300 and do it my self but on that motor you probably won’t have one and won’t be able to tell what RPM range you are running in. The biggest thing I would recommend is that when the dealer takes it to the lake either go with so you can load the boat down with gear or let him know how much weight you will be caring and make sure he sand bags it to add weight. That boat will go like hell empty but once you load it down with gear my guess is that you will need to drop at least 2” of pitch.

Just for reference a new good aluminum prop runs about $150 a stainless start at about $250 and goes up fast. If you have them do the prop testing and they charge you for the new prop make sure you get the old one it will work as a spare and could save a dive weekend.

Well, a used, 2001 25 hp Honda with electric start came up for sale on consignment through a close by marine service shop and I couldn't pass it up. The repairman said he has cleaned out the carbs and everything is in good shape and running well. He thinks the previous owner might have been using old gas and wasn't using a filter/water separator with the engine. It came with a slightly nicked 12 pitch prop, and I purchased a new 10 pitch prop thinking that I will need to propdown when I add the weight of diving buddies and gear.

Do you guys think the 10 pitch prop will work? Also, I need to get a battery and battery box. I was told by a friend that I could use a personal water craft battery from Walmart, but the batteries I saw at Walmart were not sealed and I haven't yet seen a battery box small enough to hold that size battery. My other choice is to get an Optima battery from Costco. What do you all suggest?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom