Which Motor for a 14' Inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK it looks like I’m out dated when I bought 2 years ago the new 2 strokes could be sold in California now I don’t know of any 2 stroke outboards that meets the standards. A 4 stroke may be a bit heavier but at least you don’t have to keep feeding it oil.

Again, you are confused, two stroke can be sold in California, the requirment is that all engines sold meet the CARB requirments and they do, both two and four stroke.

The modern DFI two strokes do consume a small amount of oil but so do four strokes. It is called an oil/filter change. Modern DFI Merc, Evinrdue etc two stroke outboards are the cleanest and most efficinet outboard engines made, they are as efficinet and EPA compliant as their four stroke cousins.

Small outboards do not lend themselves to DFI technologies, that is why most small outboards that are CARB compliant are four stroke, once above the 40i/60 horse range the DFI two stroke engines are very popular and very CARB compliant and very Legal.

N

I should have said a 2 stroke in the 15-40hp range. But yes, there are plenty of 2strokes meeting CARB requirements - in the 90hp and up sizes mostly.

So you have a choice for smallish engines.
new = 4 stroke
used = mostly 2 strokes, some 4s available here and there, but not that many yet.

Unless you understand older engines, new with a warranty is a plus in my book. Also much lower fuel consumption. My 25hp 4 stroke gets almost double the mileage that my previous 15hp 2 stroke got.

If I can't find a good deal on a used 2-stroke, I'm thinking about the Tohatsu 30 or 25 hp 4-stroke or the Mercury 25hp 4-stroke. I'm leaning towards the 25 hp motor hoping to save a little weight and some money.

You need to find a large and very strong friend.

N

My other option would be to order a new 2-stroke, 25hp, yamaha motor over the internet. It only weighs 106lbs. But I was thinking for just a bit more money I could have a more fuel efficient 4-stroke and be able to use it on any lake if I so choose. However, most of my use will be in the ocean so maybe I shouldn't worry about the non-CARB compliance.

Would a 25hp 4-stroke Tohatsu be that much more fuel efficient than a 25hp Yamaha 2-stroke?

Also, what size folding anchor would I need for this boat, the 5 or 7 lb?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

You live in Lakewood...most inshore diving off of Redondo, Manhattan, Laguna, San Pedro is going to happen within 5-8 miles of the launch on a 14' inflatable. The only engine more fuel efficient than everyone you mentioned is your back and a set of oars. Even my 150hp Merc gets 2-3 miles/gal, so considering the load of two adults, gear and a full 20 gal tank you can only get so much efficiency / distance traveled. You are not going to Anacapa with that boat nor San Clemente/Catalina. Pick the engine you can afford and will give you the most hp/engine weight( actually just buy what the boat mfg suggests...they spend money on researching the proper hp/weight ratios and propeller selection as well). Personally I would go with a 2 stroke evinrude ETEC if it is available ~40hp but thats just me. 2 Strokes are bullet proof and are found the world over ...just a thought. Also considering the amount of times you will be able to dive off that rig in SoCal seas your carbon footprint will be almost non existant...your lawn mower will have a bigger impact ...

With 4 divers and full gear 2-5' swells and head wind I can only COMFORTABLY handle ~12 knots in a 21' cuddy w/ 150 Merc outboard. More than that and things start coming unglued from the hold downs if you know what I mean. I doubt you are going to venture too far under those conditions with an inflatable in 60 deg H2O. However those are typical inshore conditions in SoCal

Also don't worry about fresh water diving ...why bother when you have the entire left coast at your disposal.

In that size range engine your not talking about a big difference. If we were talking 150 horse engines then there is a huge difference in fuel economy and clealiness against say a Mercury 135 three star CARB compliant engine and a equal but older carburated engine---pretty big and they use much less oil---hardly any. That Yamaha may not be oil injection,which, again, in that size engine I consider minor.

N

My previous 2stroke 15hp would use about 4-5 gallons for day of diving. That's about 12-18 miles of boating around.

My current 4 stroke 25hp uses about 2 gals for the same dives.

Part of that is being able to run it at a slightly lower rpm. All engines will suck gas and not give you that much more umph for the last little bit of throttle. I had to run the 15hp wide open. Part of that change is improved economy from the change is design.

I now only carry a 3 gal tank. 6 is overkill. So I save some space and a tiny bit of gas weight.

The old 15hp was 115lbs. The new 25 is 145lbs.

I called the Internet dealer and they cannot ship the Yamaha 2-stroke into California, so that option is eliminated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom