Which Miflex for Atomic Z2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, for everybody that is maybe interested into the future:

I called Atomic today (in Germany) and have to say that buddhasummer ist right. Atomic told me that the Jam Nut is only necessary if the regulator was delivered with a Swivel (because it is longer).
So, the Z2 doesn't need it. It is the regular 3/8" LP hose as buddhasummer and tbone1004 already said.
Atomic told me (as probably any other manufacturer also would do) that the regulator is just only approved with the original Atomic hose.

OK, for everybody that is maybe interested into the future:

I called Atomic today (in Germany) and have to say that buddhasummer ist right. Atomic told me that the Jam Nut is only necessary if the regulator was delivered with a Swivel (because it is longer).
So, the Z2 doesn't need it. It is the regular 3/8" LP hose as buddhasummer and tbone1004 already said.
Atomic told me (as probably any other manufacturer also would do) that the regulator is just only approved with the original Atomic hose.

Cool, now you can go forth and purchase...

yeah well, as there are only like 3 different hose manufacturers out there, that statement only has so much validity.... Cave Adventurers probably has best pricing on the braided hoses btw.

DGX are also very reasonable. I wouldn't bother paying the premium for Miflex, the generic braided hoses are much cheaper and thus far I have not noticed any difference in quality with the ones I've purchased from DGX.

Miflex hoses aren't advisable on Atomic regs as they are not sufficiently big bored. Atomic hoses are noticeably bigger than all others which is why Atomic regs deliver so much gas.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2015 at 11:08 PM ----------

Sorry, the size (bore) of the Atomic hoses is one reason why Atomic regs deliver so much gas. Other reasons are the piston first stage and the patented AFC feature. Best regs money can buy - and yes Mr. TBONE, they are better than HOGs.

I use a DGX hose on my T2, 2nd stage, but I am a rec diver and usually dive warm water and stay above 140', so extreme flow rates are not a factor. I needed a spacer as otherwise there was a lot slop in the inlet tube since the Atomic hose had an extended thread on the hose fitting. With the extreme suppleness of the braided flex lines I gave up on using a swivel as I no longer needed it and the additional failure point was not worth it. Anyone out there need a T2 swivel hose?

Miflex hoses aren't advisable on Atomic regs as they are not sufficiently big bored. Atomic hoses are noticeably bigger than all others which is why Atomic regs deliver so much gas.

Sorry, the size (bore) of the Atomic hoses is one reason why Atomic regs deliver so much gas. Other reasons are the piston first stage and the patented AFC feature. Best regs money can buy - and yes Mr. TBONE, they are better than HOGs.

Really? I used them on mine and didn't any difference in breathing. No offense but I'm a little skeptical on that.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2015 at 06:45 PM ----------

...the bit about the hoses not about HOG.

I think you will need the Atomic Jam Nut as atomic regs use specific connectivity.

You only need Atomic Jam Net if you are switching from stock Atomic 2nd stage swivel hose to a standard hose. Since OP order Z2 without 2nd stage swivel, jam nut is NOT needed

yeah well, as there are only like 3 different hose manufacturers out there, that statement only has so much validity.... Cave Adventurers probably has best pricing on the braided hoses btw.

This hose diameter thing has been disproven multiple times. All regulators built in the last 30 years or more can deliver more "gas" and air than any diver could need and at the lengths of hoses we use as SCUBA divers is of no real impact on the regulators performance. The hose is not the restriction, the second stage volcano orifice is the restriction, well, the diver aside, he/she being a limitation.

N

I am sorry, but this is totally incorrect information. The botton neck on air flow is far from the bore of the hose. There are many places in the reg where the "bore" is smaller. The air tube diameter is more less same for all regs. The 2nd stage orifice opening is way smaller than the hose diameter ....... just to name a few

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 03:24 PM ----------

those guys have more experience with Atomic than I do, but you can always call an Atomic service tech if you're really concerned about the jam nut. Do learn something new every day though, had no idea the Atomics needed that jam nut for the swivels, strange they made theirs with longer threads than standard connections, wonder if it was to prevent people using them on other second stages....

The main difference is NOT the 2nd stage inlet tube "exposed" thread length. It is because the Atomic swivel connection hardware is quite a bit longer than normal hose. Atomic's is actually a 2 piece assembly. The swiwel is attacking to a special "jam" nut kind of piece, which attach to the 2nd stage. When replacing the swivel hose, you add the standard jam but, then screw in the standard LP hose.

In fact, some regulator with jam nuts can be fit AA swivel hose. I have many HOG 2nd stages, if you remove HOG's jam nuts, you can actually fit AA hose onto it. Since HOG jam nut is narrower than AA jam nut, it is not a perfect design, I don't use it that way, but it is just to show it is possible. I think regulator with wider jam nuts, say Oceanic Neo which I used to have, would work with AA swivel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom