Which Manado dive resort has good shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownmola

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, never been diving outside of the U.S./Mexico and am looking at going to Indonesia. I am torn between Manado and Lembeh, but am thinking Manado to get a little bit of both wall diving/better vis (Bunaken) and a little bit of muck diving (Manado Bay?) Does this statement seem to make sense or am I way off in my thinking?

Anyways, as to my subject title, we are big photographers and would love to take wide angle on the boat dives to Bunaken and then do shore dives right in front of the resorts for macro/critters. Can anyone tell me which Manado resorts have a "house reef" and which ones seem to be better for macro than others? Free shore diving is also a big plus but we have no problem paying a small fee for it.

Thanks, you guys are so helpful.

In the Bunaken / Lembeh area what makes the diving so good, is not just what is there and easy access, but the local dive guides who can find stuff that you will never find on your own (like pygmy seahorses, stone fish etc) . As a photographer having a guide will enhance your dive a lot. Ask the dive operation what their policy is on diver to guide ratio (many have low rations like three to four divers per guide, often one or two to one others have one guide for eight divers, which is really just "leading") and what there time limit on each dive (some say, whatever is safe and others will have a one hour limit, most all tanks in that region are Aluminum 80 with yoke, NOT DIN)

I am sure everyone who has been there will confirm the value of a good guide . One of my guides, Opo of Two Fish divers Lembeh Island operation has over 9,000 (nine thousand) logged dives in the region and has been living at Lembeh for the past two years after about 10 years on Bunaken. Maruff of Two Fish divers has been diving for 20 years at Bunaken.

If you look at the total cost you may find that staying at an expensive place that may have a good house reef for shore based muck diving (this would usually be the mainland just outside Manado, as the Bunaken Island and Siladen Island locations are all wall diving in front of the resort) versus a more inexpensive place in Lembeh/Bunaken Islands that takes you boat diving to the muck sites (the boats will come pick you up, no long swim backs), you may find that all boat diving is just fine and fits your budget.

Since you have never been outside of the US/Mexico and I suggest both Bunaken and Lembeh areas. It less than two hours bu road (plus boat ride) between to the two areas. There are several resorts that have locations in both places or can arrange transfers to another dive operation. My dive guide from Bunaken goes with me when I switch to Lembeh Island.

Its a long flight (door to door 36-50 hours from the US) so you should stay as long as you can, bring plenty of film or memory cards. Bring a small light for day time use. Do as many night dives in Lembeh as you can. Great fun. You will see new stuff on every single dive. From Pygmy seahorses to if you are very fortunate , a baby Whale shark (one was sighted off Bunaken Island earlier this year, very rare) Check the Singapore airline web site. I got a great fare back in March of $1123 from LAX to Manado roundtrip (Singapore Airlines to Singapore via Narita, Tokyo, then over night in Singapore, and Silk Air, a Singapore Airline short haul subsidiary, the next morning. )

AVOID flying via Jakarta if you can.

Also the non-stop leg from LAX to Singapore on Singapore Airlines is much more expensive than the one stop (Tokyo) plus you will appreciate getting out of the plane for an hour to stretch your legs in Tokyo. You leave Singapore at the same time for Manado no matter which flight you take from LAX. I prefer the one stop because it gives me more time on the ground at Singapore Airport at night to sleep. They do have small transit hotel rooms in the terminal upstairs that rent rooms in four hour blocks.

It's great fun, very nice people and I think the Manado area (not counting the flight cost) is one of the best overall values in diving anywhere when you look at all aspects (full range of accommodations, easy access via air and to the dive sites via very short boat rides (5 to 20 minutes) excellent guided diving for no additional cost, but do tip the dive guides and staff they often have a box so that tips can be shared with the whole staff.

lumbalumbadiving which is just outside Manado has shore diving direct from their jetty. Our log books are crowded with things seen there including orangutan crabs, seahorses, ghost pipefish, mantis shrimp and other critters. There are also large rocks where you find all sorts of things from flatheads to lobsters. They have juvenile batfish in the jetty under the boats!

Ecodivers house reef is visited by boat - they visit it as an add on dive at the end of the day when the boat comes back in from Bunaken.

Pohpoh is a fantastic site for critters. We have an amazing video of a hairy frogfish actually "fishing" with its lure. Pohpoh is close to both lumbalumba and Tasik Ria (Ecodivers).

Another site that can throw up some critters is Long Beach. Not obviously spectacular but good for hanging around and seeing what pops it head out from the rocks.

What about staying in Bangka archipelago, just north of Manado? There are several resorts, f.ex. Gangga island or Sahaung island (I stayed at the latter, they are called Blue Bay divers, basic resort but very nice and small; very good guides, very informal and relaxed atmosphere). They have beautiful wide-angle spots right in front of the islands and also good muck diving with a lot of critters.

Furthermore, they do day trips to either Bunaken National Park or to Lembeh Strait.

There's also one small and basic resort called Pulisan, at the northern tip of Sulawesi.

Gaby

There is only one wrong decision, which is not going. You can't go wrong by going. Manado area is full of lovely people, always singing and laughing.

I do OK with a fan and sea breezes. On Bunaken Island it can be quite pleasant while in Manado city it is hot and sweaty. Bring shorts, t-shirts, sandals of some sort, plenty of sunscreen.

Lembeh Island in some spots has a constant breeze blowing on to the beach so I only needed the fan in middle of the night. Because Manado area is so close to the equator temperatures are pretty much the same year round.

I suggest you go for as long as you can, and do many night dives as possible. They are great fun and all kinds of critters come out to hunt. Big nudibranchs (Spanish dancers that are eight inches long) and their relatives the pleurobranchs and the cephalopds. I love the cuttlefish. They are so fascinating and not shy like the octopus.

We stayed on Bangka Island at the Murex cottages (I think they call it Bangka Bungalows) in June05 and had no a/c. We really missed the a/c, but we are both very sensitive to heat. Also, the Murex place is very basic. There was no fan in our cottage and we didn't even find out until the end of our second day that they had portable floor fans available. Once we got one of those it was better, but still pretty hot, especially when the mosquito netting was around the bed at night. The power is supplied by a generator that is turned off from 9AM-5PM so the fans aren't even on during the day. Also, we found that without a/c, the rooms were dusty/sandy. There was no clean place to crack the camera housing so it was difficult to keep the seals in good shape.

After that experience, we decided that we have to have a/c, even though it costs alot more. However, if you are not too heat sensitive, and the resort you are considering has power and fans running all day, then you will probably be okay. I don't know anything about Blue Bay divers, but in general, diving in Bangka is very nice - better than Bunaken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom