Which light should I choose..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec

Reaction score
I nightdive only once and most of the time when you see people diving even daytime, they always have a light...what intensity of light should I choose?? cannon HID light, 10Watt light, 15watt..ect...?? I want to dive with it day and night.

Thanx for helping..

If you can swing a 10-watt HID, that is definitely the way to go. If not then a couple of alternatives are 50 watt halogen, Light Canon HID.

IF worse comes to worse, you can always carry double candles.

Scuba-Quebec:
I nightdive only once and most of the time when you see people diving even daytime, they always have a light...what intensity of light should I choose?? cannon HID light, 10Watt light, 15watt..ect...?? I want to dive with it day and night.

Thanx for helping..

Most people agree that the 18w HID is better than the 10W but it's hard to part with that much money for a light. Personally I think for most diving applications the 10w is more than sufficient.

R..

If you want to start carying a light on every dive i would suggest a canister light cause i find the cannon way to big and a pain to carry.. the new OMS 10w HID is very well price, compact and very well made also the Terkel is nice

DS1:
If you want to start carying a light on every dive i would suggest a canister light cause i find the cannon way to big and a pain to carry.. the new OMS 10w HID is very well price, compact and very well made also the Terkel is nice

Thanx for advice but the OMS is too expensive...but yes a canister light would be great....but can't afford it..

Scuba-Quebec:
Thanx for advice but the OMS is too expensive...but yes a canister light would be great....but can't afford it..

Neither could I. I made one with a 50w halogen lamp for about $200 from scratch.

R..

Scuba-Quebec:
$200 from scratch??

how'd you do that? tell me more...

buy what you need, put it together and presto.

There is a really good section on this forum for DIY (do it yourself). There are several threads about making a light with more detail than I can give you in one post.

The basics are to get (or make) a battery pack big enough to drive a 50w halogen bulb for the time you need. Use something (I used sewage piping) to make a holder/canister for the battery and abuse a maglite to make a holder for the bulb. The instructions on the DIY forum are pretty clear and you can get almost everything you need at a Canadian Tire store.

R..

Have a DR Wreck 10w and love it. Buy one off ebay and save yourself some money

I find that I like different lights for different dives.

In the daylight a very bright light with a very narrow beam is great as it is still usefull as a signal.

At night I often like a small, fairly weak light so as not to disturb the nightlife too much.

I carry a mini Q-40 most of the time. I like the SL-4 for general use and at times I have had a 250 watt halogen bolted to my helmet. :D

If you dive regularly with the same people you will probably want a light that matches what they use.

Back
Top Bottom