Which light- LED or halogen for pocket backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to get a small, inexpensive, compact light that will fit in a pocket as a backup. I have seen models that are LED, and others that are halogen.

examples: Halogen: Princeton Tec Tec 40 Halogen Dive Light, Lights-Lights-Small (AA Batteries), Princeton Tec, Princeton Tec Tec 40 Halogen Dive Light

LED: Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light, Lights, Princeton Tec, Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light

The halogen have higher lumen ratings, but shorter life than the LED models.

What are the practical differences between these technologies? Will one be a significantly better choice as a pocket backup? Are the bulbs equally durable?

Thanks very much.

I want to get a small, inexpensive, compact light that will fit in a pocket as a backup. I have seen models that are LED, and others that are halogen.

I'd definitely go with LED, If you're on your backup, you already lost or broke your primary, so the last thing you want is a broken backup.

The filament on a halogen (or any filament bulb) can break at any time with no warning, and it would really suck to reach for it and find it doesn't work.

Terry

I agree as the LED is a more trustworthy option than the halogen. When it comes to survival equipment you always want to opt for the product that is more reliable.

examples: Halogen: Princeton Tec Tec 40 Halogen Dive Light, Lights-Lights-Small (AA Batteries), Princeton Tec, Princeton Tec Tec 40 Halogen Dive Light

LED: Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light, Lights, Princeton Tec, Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light

The halogen have higher lumen ratings, but shorter life than the LED models.

What are the practical differences between these technologies? Will one be a significantly better choice as a pocket backup? Are the bulbs equally durable?

Thanks very much.

You might also want to consider the Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 eLED Dive Light

Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 eLED Dive Light from LeisurePro.com

This is a very reliable LED light that I have used on dives with water temperatures ranging from 420 F in New England through Pennsylvania to 820 F in Bonaire and Curacao.

LED lights are generally more reliable and the batteries last longer.
I carry a UK Q40 eLED plus as a backup light.

Yeah, in this day and age, whenever there's an option, I'd always go with LED.

I use the SL4. LED may have a lower lumen rating but it's more natural light in the higher kelvin scale like HID lights make it brighter even with out the same lumens. LEDs are more reliable and battery life will be much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom