Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have stayed at a small family run hotel on Cable Beach in Nassau called the Orange Hill Inn. It is a quaint little place and they will not only know your name but you will be greeted by name every time they see you. The last time I was there, they still had an "Honour Bar". Their theory was that they would lose less doing that than it would cost them to hire a bartender to just stand around if nobody was at the bar.

They are on the Stuart Cove pick up list, so you can dive with Stuart Cove whenever you want and they will pick you up right at the hotel. While Stuart Cove does do a lot of shark feeding dives, they also do a wide variety of other dives including walls, reefs, wrecks and some locations that are pretty sharky without feeding.

The Orange Hill is too far from downtown Nassau to walk, but there is a bus that runs right past the hotel. I'm not sure if this is going to meet your needs, but I just thought that I'd mention it.

@Hoag , Did you spend time or look at their beach? My wife really enjoys the beach, listening to the water when getting sun etc. Are there any beach chairs and umbrellas available? Otherwise looks like a GREAT option.

How are the currents when diving? My wife is a critter watcher and prefers mild currents (if any). Thanks

@gt2003, I have not spent any significant time on their beach. It should be noted that the hotel is across the street from the beach and is not located right on the beach. If you go to the hotel's website and click on the gallery link, about halfway down the page are some images of the beach. IIRC, there are lots beach chairs but they are all up and around the pool. I do not recall there being any at the beach itself.

As for currents, I honestly don't remember there being any significant currents while diving in or near Nassau. Because nothing really stands out, I would imagine that they were pretty mild.

Very Helpful! Thank You. We've only been to Cozumel so looking to expand our horizons a bit. I appreciate the input.

Orange Hill in Nassau is quaint and a bargain but it has seen better days, I don't think that I would stay there again, but if budget is a major issue then it is an option.

@KathyV , other lodging recommendations? I mean we were content with Hotel Cozumel and Resort so would Orange Hill be similar?

Orange Hill in Nassau is quaint and a bargain but it has seen better days, I don't think that I would stay there again, but if budget is a major issue then it is an option.
This is good to know. It was a few years ago when I was there.

This is good to know. It was a few years ago when I was there.

@KathyV , other lodging recommendations? I mean we were content with Hotel Cozumel and Resort so would Orange Hill be similar?

I'm not familiar with the Hotel Cozumel, so maybe it is similar. It's been awhile since we stayed Orange Hill, so perhaps I shouldn't have voiced an opinion. OH is fun and quirky and economical but the last time we were there we had issues with roaches in the room and a lack of hot water and things generally just looked rather run down.

Perhaps it has improved, but quite a few of the of the reviews posted on Trip Advisor for Orange Hill are negative or mixed - but some are positive - it depends on what you are looking for. I would reach out to the booking agent for the Dive Op you plan to use (Stuart Cove's?) and ask for advice on lodgings. Some of their divers are on packages with Orange Hill so they should have updated information and may also be able to suggest other places to stay.

Nassau is expensive, if you are used to Cozumel you will feel some sticker shock. I suggest staying in a place with a kitchen where you can prepare some simple meals and only go out to eat about once per day, or a place that has a meal plan (Orange Hill has a meal plan - and an Honor Bar!)

Have fun!

Orange Hill is a convenient, budget-priced hotel near the Nassau airport and I stopped there overnight a few years ago en route to San Salvador. Was in Freeport last month diving with UNEXSO at Lucaya Bay. Dollar for dollar,the Bahamas is overpriced for what you get in my opinion,and offers little that cannot be seen at other destinations,with the exception of shark action...where you will find them on most every dive.

I've only done a two tank dive as a cruise excursion on Nassau. What about the Exumas? Are they decent for diving and activities?

Orange Hill is a convenient, budget-priced hotel near the Nassau airport and I stopped there overnight a few years ago en route to San Salvador. Was in Freeport last month diving with UNEXSO at Lucaya Bay. Dollar for dollar,the Bahamas is overpriced for what you get in my opinion,and offers little that cannot be seen at other destinations,with the exception of shark action...where you will find them on most every dive.

I've only done a two tank dive as a cruise excursion on Nassau. What about the Exumas? Are they decent for diving and activities?

We did a liveaboard trip to the Exumas and it was great but it was a number of years ago, haven't been there recently so perhaps someone else has more current information.

I agree that there is better diving in the Caribbean and places that I prefer to visit more than the Bahamas. The Bahmaian reefs are usually not spectacular and the water can be cold, but it is very fishy and sharky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom