Which is better for rare critters? - Lembeh or Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking to see lots of rare and unusual critters and good macro stuff. I've done Raja Ampat. I'm now trying to decide between a Komodo itinerary or a Lembeh itinerary. I would be doing a liveaboard for either. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lembeh land based for the weird and wonderful critters

Komodo only way to really see and get the most out of the trip is by Live-a-board has some critters mostly in horse shoe bay

We did Komodo and Lembeh (KBR) in 2009. Both were great but Lembeh is in a class by its self. Some of the stuff was so weird it was hard to believe it was real.

Dives in Lembeh tend to be featureless expanses of muck punctuated by occasional glimpses of either trash or incredibly exotic creatures. The divemasters know where everything is, so it is a fairly efficient way to get a lot of great pictures. Without a guide you'd come up pretty empty, I suspect. A serious photographer will appreciate the dark background and the clear water as well as the variety of subjects. Consider hiring your own guide and boat. That way you don't have to share your subjects with other photogaphers and, if the visibility gets spoiled, you have only yourself to blame.

If you are not a serious photographer, if you are not driven by lust for photos, if you value the total diving experience, consider the Komodo itinerary. Pristine reefs lush with coral and fish, a huge variety of undersea-scapes, the dragons, and most of the rare critters are there--they're just not as easy to find. You can see reefs bubbling with sulfide gas on the dark-brown slope of a volcano--what a great background for a brightly colored nudibranch. I snorkeled a shallow reef off of one of the islands that was better than 95% of my dives--in 2 meters of water. I also appreciated the occasional shark or manta--few and far between--but you won't see anything bigger than a breadbox in Lembeh.

If you are flying all the way from NY, do what everybody else does--hit both destinations in one itinerary. I disembarked my Komodo liveaboard in Bali, squeezed in a few days of diving there, flew to Singapore for a couple of days, and then on to Lembeh via Manado on SilkAir.

Last edited:
Lembeh is very exotic, true its much with an occasional island of habitat. But It is absolutely amazing what you will find. You can go to lembeh for a week or so then, over to bunakan for nice coral wall diving, turtles and sharks.

you don't have to be a serious photographer to enjoy lembeh. Even my 9 years old daughter vote lembeh as her favourite - although she's very picky about accomodation but she did not complain we stayed at the most basic accomodation - just because the diving - from "2 m" depth only. See what she say about lembeh melati luv diving: January 2009
she want to come back again for her Jr. OW in Sept. 09
most of the sites in lembeh are shallow and no current.

Lembeh is the place for the small and strange. We dove Bunaken and the surronding area when we went. While they are nice we will not repeat Bunaken. We would just spend MORE TIME IN LEMBEH! Shore op is perfect and we loved Lembeh Resort. Trip reports, slide shows etc, at our site.

Check out Bali for great muck diving. I've seen a lot of critters there that I haven't found in Lembeh. And some are typically bigger. Secret Bay, Puri Jati, Tulamben, Seraya, Amed. Not knocking Lembeh - I dive both areas.

Did not see a breadbox, but a shark once. Bamboo shark, perhaps a meter long. Biggest thing in more than 200 dives.

Lembeh, all the way.
I stayed at Kasawari, which was fantastic
1269755554_998c40a4a3_o.jpg

h
1269755572_55ef7fcd5b_o.jpg

I just got back from a month diving the south shore of New Britain Island in PNG. It is wonderful for critters. As good as Lembeh. The biggest difference is it didn't have the wonderful black sand of Lembeh. Exposures were much more difficult.

Some of my fave Lembeh critters;

2481515100_614215d60a_o.jpg

1363453868_f44bb97e17_o.jpg

2480832665_70e59dde4f_o.jpg

Last March we did Tulemben (Bali), Bunaken (from Tasik Ria), Lembeh (from KBR) and a week on the Pelagian in the Komodo area. Tulemben, Bunaken and Komodo were all great but what we saw was similar at all three places. Lembeh was completely different; what we saw was unique and amazing. We're going back in 2010 and want to do something new such as Wakatobi, Raja Ampat or Alor. But, we will definately be going back to Lembeh on the same trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom