Which is a better month for Morehead City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seas vary not month to month, but sometimes by the hour.
Either month will give you some fantastic diving opportunities unless Mother Nature throws a named storm into the mix.
I personally like Nov - Jan.

unless Mother Nature throws a named storm into the mix.

Both months are good, except as Bobby says, a named storm comes a calling. You know what they say about hurricane season...the weather is great unless there is a hurricane.

It's really hard to tell until we get there. Both months are good, and I'd say that September is a little better on average. But, you have to weigh that against the fact that weekday charters get harder to find in September. It's not a problem if you can fill a boat (or even get 4 divers for a 6-pack), but it can be an issue if you only have 1 or 2 divers.

The big unknown is hurricanes. Things have been quiet so far this year (knock on wood), but who knows what the next couple of months will bring.

One strategy would be to try for August, and then use September as a backup. You probably won't have any problems, but it's nice to have options :)

A lot of local divers think that fall has some of the best diving in NC.

Rad Diver
Why do you like those months? It that the time for best Viz?

Boats aren't as crowded & the divers on board are normally local & used to what NC has to offer.
The weather is more likely to be calmer & more predictable which will bring in better vis.
Plus my % of dives getting blown out that time frame is less than 10, now if only the boat doesn't break down.

Given a choice I would go even later, Oct or early Nov. The chance of bad seas is the same but it's not so blasted hot on the boat ride, the water is still plenty warm and most of the tourist have gone...plus the fish are more likely to be biting...gotta do something when not on the boat. :)

my favorite is sept to about Nov , remember temps start to cool down and boats usually not as crowded in Oct and Nov

Back
Top Bottom