Which Inon Wide Angle Lens For G7/WP-DC11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hlsooner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Canon G7 and I use the Canon WP-DC11 housing. I finally ordered a 67mm add-on lens adapter from here.

UWdigitalcamera.com

This weekend I am going to purchase an Inon UWL-100 wide-angle lens and I noticed Inon makes a Type I and Type II version of the same lens.

Inon UWL-100 Lens

The Type I appears to be for cameras using threaded 67mm adapter. Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations on whether Type I or Type II is better for my setup?

Before you fork out your hard-earned, do a bit more reading on problems with vignetting with WA lenses and the Canon G-range housings.

I have the G9 with WP-DC21 and same 67mm adapter you just bought, but am aware that normal WA lenses cannot be used due to severe vignetting caused by the distance of the camera lens, in the housing, from the adapter screwed to the outside. The only lens that I have heard is reasonably compatible (and even then you need to zoom in slightly) is the Dyron 67mm

The other problem you will have is that the 67mm add-on adapter blocks even more of the internal flash than is blocked by the lens port, so an external strobe is essential if additional lighting is needed. Then this raises the additional issue of how to connect the slave fibre optic cable to the setup ... you will need to fashion something to accept the cable, or purchase something similar to this nifty item ... Fisheye Fix

I appreciate your feedback on the vignetting issue. I have read a lot about it, but have also read and seen photos from others who claim using a bit of zoom can still produce acceptable results.

I plan on taking my camera in housing to the store and actually shooting some shots with any WA lens before purchase, to see if it will produce acceptable results.

As for blocking the internal flash, that's a plus for me as the small bit that escapes sometimes overexposes areas with my external strobe.

Before you fork out your hard-earned, do a bit more reading on problems with vignetting with WA lenses and the Canon G-range housings.

I have the G9 with WP-DC21 and same 67mm adapter you just bought, but am aware that normal WA lenses cannot be used due to severe vignetting caused by the distance of the camera lens, in the housing, from the adapter screwed to the outside. The only lens that I have heard is reasonably compatible (and even then you need to zoom in slightly) is the Dyron 67mm

The other problem you will have is that the 67mm add-on adapter blocks even more of the internal flash than is blocked by the lens port, so an external strobe is essential if additional lighting is needed. Then this raises the additional issue of how to connect the slave fibre optic cable to the setup ... you will need to fashion something to accept the cable, or purchase something similar to this nifty item ... Fisheye Fix

Well, Ozzie Andrew was right about vignetting being a real problem for a WA lens on the G7 + Canon housing. I took the combo into the store and tried out some WA lenses. No WA lens produced acceptable results due to severe vignetting. I ended up getting a nice macro lens, and guess I will have to consider purchasing the Ikelite housing + flat port, at $600 if I want to get WA shots.

hi hlsooner, i had the g9 with canon housing and lens adaptor from fun-in taiwan. just wondering if you had the chance to try the dyron wide angle lens yet? was considering to purchase one but i can't seem to find anyone who has tried it.

Well, Ozzie Andrew was right about vignetting being a real problem for a WA lens on the G7 + Canon housing. I took the combo into the store and tried out some WA lenses. No WA lens produced acceptable results due to severe vignetting. I ended up getting a nice macro lens, and guess I will have to consider purchasing the Ikelite housing + flat port, at $600 if I want to get WA shots.

That's not your *only* option. There's also the Patina housing (LINK - but it's $1000) and there was talk about another aluminum houisng by sea & sea, but I'm not sure if it has optional ports.

No, I did not get to try the Dyron WA lens in the store. I don't know anyone in my area that stocks them. So I guess there is still some hope that the Dyron WA might work.

hi hlsooner, i had the g9 with canon housing and lens adaptor from fun-in taiwan. just wondering if you had the chance to try the dyron wide angle lens yet? was considering to purchase one but i can't seem to find anyone who has tried it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom