Which housings are better (less prone to leak)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using an Oly 5060 with Oly PT-020 housing for about 2-1/2 years. For $175 new, I couldn't beat the housing price, and it seems to be well made. I know Ikelite housings are considered higher end in comparison, but no complaints about the Oly housing. I like the double o-ring seal as well.

I already had an Ikelite strobe. If I wanted to use it on Oly housing I also had to by a bulkhead converter, which made the cost of both housings about the same. In the end I settled for Ikelte, mostly due to compatibility.

5-months of operation and depths down to 100 ft. with great results, Olympus has always maintained great QC. I've been shooting amateur u/w photogs for 38-years, though most was with a Nikonos II with no leaks except for a light meter housing that was threaded, and I probably 'blew' that one myself. Keeping dry is really a matter of keeping the o-ring clear of hair, dirt, etc.
Even my last film SeaLife was really put to the test over just a three year period with 140 ft. depths, want to buy an old SeaLife reefmaster?
Grease or greaseless, control-buttons, just stay on them, wash/soak and operate all your control buttons afterwards. Quality-control at this level is a given, operator-error is expected!
You gotta love the Oly software>>>>>>>>>>

I've used my Olympus PT-010 housing for 3 years now, and I bought it previously-enjoyed. It's been out of production for years now, but parts are still available if you know where to look. The one part I've had to replace was the main o-ring, and I once had a minor flood which was due to operator error. The only annoying thing is mine is only rated to 90 ft, though it has worked fine to 110 and sporadically at 125. One of the buttons stuck on my last trip but a long freshwater soak took care of that. I also use the INON macro lens and Epoque WAL which screw directly onto the front of the housing and they have worked very well. It's been dropped on a boat deck (not by me) and banged up on rocks, but it's still going strong. Truly, it's a great housing for a lower price than the Ikelite.

Hard to beat the Oly cases for price and access to all the camera buttons. Ike is probably a better product overall but is it expensive and tends to be boxy and bulky. I have used the Oly housing with a C 5000 Zoom with no complaints. Only time it leaked was in the camera bucket on a boat being knocked around with other cameras. Got it out in time (before going the Big Blue) and camera still working today.

Using Oly C-7070 in Ikelite housing.

bought the last camera in store, and got an ex-demo housing from Singapore..
(Thai dealer didn't work that well)

before I decided to go for Ike housing, 3 of my close friends lost 4 7070 in Oly housing.
One guy had the port leaked, lost 1 camera.
Another guy had twisted o-ring, lost 2 camera.. (yeah.. he had it twice)

The last guy really put me off oly housing. he told me that he went down to just about 5m.
Then the flash bulkhead (never been used) IMPLODE into the housing.
Luckily, it was only at 5m, he press his thumb over the hole and ascent.
Save the camera... but lost the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom