Which housing for D80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr:
Hi, Warren,

This is an easy fix. Just take a piece of what is called "foam tape" and put it on the housing piece that mates against the camera dial. It will be soft enough to do no damage, but firm enough to make good contact with the dial.

"Foam tape" is the double-sticky tape that is the "thick stuff"...it is about 1/16" to 1/8" thick...

I have done this on others' housings and it works well...Oh, yes, it is non-destructive...

joewr

I used a piece of rubber with a sticky backing on it - works fine also. It's a minor issue, so it would be nice not to have to take any corrective measure. But my Ike/D70 rig is relegated to backup duty for now, so it's not such an issue anyway.

I've only missed on two dives not to be able to switch from manual to AutoFocus. I forgot both times to switch to AF before closing the housing and didn't check before entering the water. You can imagine my face, while trying to take the first picture and discovering the camera is not focusing.... :(
Ok, I admit, that has been my fault, but what happens if you're shooting with your 60mm macro and you want to change from Manual to AF? (ok, there's one port for the 105mm macro that allows this option, but it's the only one).
The rest of the housing works great, but I also miss a better viewfinder (the viewfinder on the camera itself is really mediocre, at least compared to my old analog N90x/F90x).
Chears!
Hidroj

I have a Subal housing for my D70, its a great product works well etc. But I wouldn't recommend Subal to anyone, and I will tell you why. Parts Availability!!! Takes them months to ship parts while you wait and cool your heels. Yes I realize they are a small shop and everything is hand made blah blah blah, sorry the housing are way to expensive, not to have excellent support from manufacturer. I plan to upgrade to a D200 shortly, and probably will be buy the Sea and Sea housing.

CUunderH2O:
Yeah, I wish I had some shops in my area that had any of these housings available. Unfortunately, there are none. I have seen an Ikelite in use once (it seemed pretty big to me) but I have never seen any of the other housings. I think the closest shop that might have a few different types is B&H in NYC, and that's a good 6hr+ drive.

Hi, CU,

Yep, housings for DSLR's are bulky...and when you add stobe(s), they are even bulkier. That is why I sometimes eye point&shoot photographers enviously at times. This is especially true when shorediving at a site with a somewhat difficult entry (and exit). However, being an old warhorse, I am wed to the beneficial characteristics or the DSLR species.

I am afraid that any housing you choose will be "pretty big".

It might be worth that long drive to handle these critters since somewhere between $1500 and $3000 (US) is involved...

joewr

Pipehorse:
I have a Subal housing for my D70, its a great product works well etc. But I wouldn't recommend Subal to anyone, and I will tell you why. Parts Availability!!! Takes them months to ship parts while you wait and cool your heels. Yes I realize they are a small shop and everything is hand made blah blah blah, sorry the housing are way to expensive, not to have excellent support from manufacturer. I plan to upgrade to a D200 shortly, and probably will be buy the Sea and Sea housing.

Hi, Pipehorse,

I have never had to order anything more complex than o-rings. However, this outfit has always had in stock what I needed:

http://marinecamera.com/

joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom