Which first stage: DSV or 50D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two regs purchased at the same time failing so close together is an unlikely coincidence.. there has to be a comonality between the two..

The swivels themselves are not the most common failure point on the regs.. the point I usually see failures is where the din (or yoke) connection attaches to the first stage.. This usually comes loose and gets an o-ring extrusion.. The din version fails more often because people tend to try and use the first stage to help them loosen up a stuck din fitting..

In both cases the shoulder bolt had come loose, allowing the o-ring to blow out. Consider ... two identical regs purchased at the same time from the same supplier ... decent odds they were factory assembled at roughly the same time. Zeagle had an instance of employee turnover in this department somewhre around the time these regs were built. Hmmm ....

That bolt requires a very specific torque setting to do its job correctly ... as an ex-machinist, IMHO it creates a potential failure point. Not to mention, if you need reg service off in nowhereland, how many techs are going to have that torque setting at their fingertips?

In both cases the shoulder bolt had come loose, allowing the o-ring to blow out. Consider ... two identical regs purchased at the same time from the same supplier ... decent odds they were factory assembled at roughly the same time. Zeagle had an instance of employee turnover in this department somewhre around the time these regs were built. Hmmm ....

That bolt requires a very specific torque setting to do its job correctly ... as an ex-machinist, IMHO it creates a potential failure point. Not to mention, if you need reg service off in nowhereland, how many techs are going to have that torque setting at their fingertips?

The torque on that fitting is not THAT critical.. Its hard to overtighten without really going at it.. as long as its snug it does its job.. Personally I service all my own regs so that I know its done right... A simple solution to stopping critical fittings from comming loose is a little bit of thread lock.. with this there is no accidental loosening of the bolt and it just requires a quick "impact" of force to break it free.. I have never had a turret or din fitting come loose..

Personally I think its important that people INSPECT their own gear regularly.. checking that things that are supposed to be snug are.. A few allen keys and a few wrenches to periodically check that things aren't loose is the best coarse of action.. It doesnt take a technician to notice that a fitting is loose.. All the fittings with barell seals just really need to be snug, face seals may or may not be as forgiving depending on the tolerances..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom