Which dive shop in Sharm for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlobalArb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are setting up a vacation to Egypt in July, where we will want to spend a week or so diving. I assume we'll end up in Sharm (maybe Dahab for part of it), and while July is ideal for us considering the water temperature will be warmer than other times, it also seems that the boats will be very crowed at this time of the year. As new divers certified last October, and only 3 dives in the logbook (Saba and Anguilla), we would prefer to get a little more personalized attention when diving, and was curious if any particular dive shops come to mind? Given our lack of experience it doesn't seem ideal to be on a boat with 20 other divers. Are there outfits in Sharm that have a low diver/divemaster ratio, or one that caters to newer divers? We would be willing to pay extra within reason to be a bit more relaxed on our trip. Thanks so much!

Dave

If your heading down towards Na'ama Bay, then I try Red Sea Diving College.

I was diving with them last week, and found them to be a very professional crew.

The boats had about 12 divers max with groups of 3-6 in per DM/instructor.

Probably best to start with "local" dives - middle garden, etc, first, as they're much easier, and perhaps move on to Ras Mohammed or Tiran once you feel confident enough.

Good luck, you'll love it! We're going back in October once it's cooled down a bit after summer.

Here's some of the pics I took whilst I was there so you have a rough idea what to expect Res Sea Pics

GlobalArb:
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are setting up a vacation to Egypt in July, where we will want to spend a week or so diving. I assume we'll end up in Sharm (maybe Dahab for part of it), and while July is ideal for us considering the water temperature will be warmer than other times, it also seems that the boats will be very crowed at this time of the year. As new divers certified last October, and only 3 dives in the logbook (Saba and Anguilla), we would prefer to get a little more personalized attention when diving, and was curious if any particular dive shops come to mind? Given our lack of experience it doesn't seem ideal to be on a boat with 20 other divers. Are there outfits in Sharm that have a low diver/divemaster ratio, or one that caters to newer divers? We would be willing to pay extra within reason to be a bit more relaxed on our trip. Thanks so much!

Dave

Hi dave
I live over here in Egypt and dive in either Sharm or Dahab (or both) most weekends. I think if you would like smaller groups and easier dives you may want to look harder at going to Dahab; almost exclusively shore dives and the currents don't get as strong as in some places around Sharm at times. The outfit I dive with never has more than 6 or 7 divers with a divemaster (www.diveindahab.com), which seems to be the case with most places there.

Dive safe,
Sundtzu

Thanks for the info. I think we are now planning on spending a little more time diving, starting in Sharm and looking to work our way up to Dahab as well. As far as Sharm goes, is anyone familiar with the Sheraton there? I haven't seen too many reviews online, and would love any feedback from those who have already been there. Also, I've heard that there is a dive outfit with its own pier on the same bay as the Sheraton...I imagine that would be nice considering you could avoid the crowds at the main pier, as well as negating a transfer from the hotel to the main pier. Any thoughts or experiences as far as that goes? Thanks for all of your help!

GlobalArb, I've dived with Subex in Sharm and they were superb - service, boat, itinerary etc.... Their rental equipment (if you are renting) also looked to be in good shape. Also have dived with Dive Inn and was not nearly as satisfied. My wife rented equipment and it sucked. Will be going to Sharm again in April and staying next door to the Sheraton, we will dive with either Subex or International Divers.

2DiveCrew:
GlobalArb, I've dived with Subex in Sharm and they were superb - service, boat, itinerary etc.... Their rental equipment (if you are renting) also looked to be in good shape. Also have dived with Dive Inn and was not nearly as satisfied. My wife rented equipment and it sucked. Will be going to Sharm again in April and staying next door to the Sheraton, we will dive with either Subex or International Divers.
I did my BSAC course at Camel in Sharm good people and also dived with the red sea collage but then its all good as far as the diving :sappy: love it

I went diving for one da in Sharm with the red sea diving college - rate them highly though if diving in Sharm be prepared to be shocked at huge number of divers on dive sites, big boats and lots of divers on one boat.... diving is great thought and worth it! Make sure you go to Ras Um Sid.

GlobalArb, I live too in egypt and I am regular red sea diver. I like to dive in Sharm and in Dahab. I prefer staying in Sharm cause Dahab has only few dive sites, but in Sharm more Luxury, more diving centers, mre professional people.
For you I prefer to dive with the Camel diving center they are professional and friendly but the main reason that if you are staying in the Camel you take a discount on the dives and guiding. I don't know if they are still doing this, but I can ask them if you want ????

gehadoski:
GlobalArb, I live too in egypt and I am regular red sea diver. I like to dive in Sharm and in Dahab. I prefer staying in Sharm cause Dahab has only few dive sites, but in Sharm more Luxury, more diving centers, mre professional people.
For you I prefer to dive with the Camel diving center they are professional and friendly but the main reason that if you are staying in the Camel you take a discount on the dives and guiding. I don't know if they are still doing this, but I can ask them if you want ????

They still are doing their specials its about 380 per person (couplex2) for a week accomodation plus buffet breakfast and 5 days of diving 2 tanks per day (which is great)...if you like contact me on my email protos@aucegypt.edu I am a part time Instructor and can get you some neat offers slightly lower than advertised with some of these beautiful places...

keep on diving S.A.F.E.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom