Which dive op takes excurions from Norwegian cruise ships?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winterpeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, we are certified divers but have never been to Cayman Islands. We will be going on a family cruise mid-March on Norwegian and our daughter wants to try the Discover Scuba excursion in Grand Cayman. Does anyone know who has the contract with Norwegian? I'd like to check out the dive op.

Try going to the Norwegian web site and look at the excursions. Then look at the reviews. Some times the reviews will say who the dive operator is.

Try going to the Norwegian web site and look at the excursions. Then look at the reviews. Some times the reviews will say who the dive operator is.

Nope, there are actually NO reviews of the Discover Scuba excursion on the Norwegian site. Not for the cruise we're going on, anyway.

I don't know who the cruise operator is - Foster's does most of them but they don't list NCL.

I suspect the DSD is done off the closest dive site to the shop(s) - which for all is off their dock. All are walkable from the cruise tender dock. Cheeseburger Reef - which I assume is the site for most of them since they're on it is a known dive site. So is the wreck of Cali which is not as intact as it sounds like so safe for DSD's.

Options in Georgetown who offer cruise dive programs.

Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman
https://www.diversdown.net/Discover_Scuba_Dive.html
Cruise Ship Visitors to Grand Cayman | - there's 3 operators there - Wall to Wall, Deep Blue Divers or Off the Wall.

Eden Rock is 500' from the cruise dock. It or the Grotto aren't much over 40'. Note that the silversides won't be there in March.http://www.edenrockdive.com/
Fosters's is sort of on the south end of the Grotto also.

There is a process to build a cruise pier on Grand Cayman that was approved last month. So if that has started by the time you're there - Eden Rock is going to be buried under the pier. So they'll be dredging in that area initially. You might try the shops north if that's the case - Lobster Pot or Diver's Down.

Sorry about that. I always go on Carnival and they post reviews on the excursions.
Looks like Norwegian goes to George Town, Grand Cayman. Do a serch on George Town Grand Cayman diving and then send the dive operators a message to see who works with Norwegian or pick one of them and set something up on your own. It has been 18 years since I did a discover scube dive there with my daughter. We walked from the pier maybe a 1/4 mile to the dive shop where we did the dive after the class.
Good Luck

I don't know who the cruise operator is - Foster's does most of them but they don't list NCL.

I suspect the DSD is done off the closest dive site to the shop(s) - which for all is off their dock. All are walkable from the cruise tender dock. Cheeseburger Reef - which I assume is the site for most of them since they're on it is a known dive site. So is the wreck of Cali which is not as intact as it sounds like so safe for DSD's.

Options in Georgetown who offer cruise dive programs.

Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman
https://www.diversdown.net/Discover_Scuba_Dive.html
Cruise Ship Visitors to Grand Cayman | - there's 3 operators there - Wall to Wall, Deep Blue Divers or Off the Wall.

Eden Rock is 500' from the cruise dock. It or the Grotto aren't much over 40'. Note that the silversides won't be there in March.http://www.edenrockdive.com/
Fosters's is sort of on the south end of the Grotto also.

There is a process to build a cruise pier on Grand Cayman that was approved last month. So if that has started by the time you're there - Eden Rock is going to be buried under the pier. So they'll be dredging in that area initially. You might try the shops north if that's the case - Lobster Pot or Diver's Down.

thanks, that helps. i'll just email a couple of these ops and see who's doing the discover scuba that day.

Lobster Pot has 3 operators located there
Wall To Wall
Deep Blue
Off the Wall

I'm sure at least one will offer a discover scuba course that day.

Just want to thank everyone who responded to this question. We just got back from our trip.
From the advice in this thread, i emailed several of the dive ops in the area inquiring about a Discover Scuba for our daughter and a dive for us. All replied. I ended up going with Off the Wall. Tom took us on a private 2-tank dive after doing the DS theory and water skills with our daughter.
She did great and we had a blast! So much better than if we had done it with the cruise ship. She breezed through the paperwork and skills and we had time for 2 tanks (almost an hour each) before we had to get back to the ship. If we had done it through the cruise, it would have been one tank, taken longer with multiple students doing the DS, and no doubt cost more.

Back
Top Bottom