Which dive location in the Philippines in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Rogersea, but I haven't been able to talk my guys into the liveaboard thing yet. It is a work in progress!

Codman, thanks very much for the information. I stand ready and willing to be converted! I just wish all these wonderful places were a little bit closer to the East Coast!

The two places my dive travel agency (Island Dreams) is really pushing are Puerto Gallera (El Galleon or Atlantis--no idea which beach either is near) and Dumaguete (Atlantis or Bahura). Would either of those locations be a good pick in December for us, do you think? Is it feasible to try to do both in one trip?

I'm going to look up Anilao right now--as I know nothing about it! Do you recommend any resorts/hotel/dive operation there?

Thanks again!

Okay, I'm back again after doing some more research and reading.

What about flying in to Cebu and spending some time in Dumaguete (Atlantis) and Moalboal (Turtle Bay? Kasai Village?) Would this be do-able, I wonder? They look fairly close on the map--is there a ferry? I've read this is supposed to be their cool-ish, dry-ish season and following Babydumalog's advice upthread, it's a bit closer down south.

Are there any other combinations that you guys might recommend?

Many thanks!

From what I know (and PPDers correct me if I'm wrong), Dumaguete is a few hours bus/ car ride from Moalboal. So yes, definetly doable without loosing too much time. Maybe even Malapascua (a bit further + a ferry ride). It all depends a lot on if you are the "I want to dive as many different sites as possible" or "I want to thoroughly dive a region" type of persons. I spent 5 weeks in PG, some sites dove 8-9 times, and never had a dull dive... It really is personal preference...:coffee:

Okay, I'm back again after doing some more research and reading.

What about flying in to Cebu and spending some time in Dumaguete (Atlantis) and Moalboal (Turtle Bay? Kasai Village?) Would this be do-able, I wonder? They look fairly close on the map--is there a ferry? I've read this is supposed to be their cool-ish, dry-ish season and following Babydumalog's advice upthread, it's a bit closer down south.

Are there any other combinations that you guys might recommend?

Many thanks!

Sorrows, those dive centers are the most renown and expensive dive centers in those 2 areas. It's not surprising the travel agent is pushing them; they probably don't know about any of the others (in PG, there are about 40-50 different dive centers). Don,t get me wrong, they are top notch dive centers (Talking for the Atlantis centers and El Galeon , don't know much about Bahura). But there are better deals to be had. If budget isn't an obstacle and you want the best, you can go for them eyes closed; you will be happy with Room, restaurant and dive operation. But if you want a better deal, it can easily be had if you shop around a bit... Depends on what you want in a Dive resort/ center.:coffee:

Thanks Rogersea, but I haven't been able to talk my guys into the liveaboard thing yet. It is a work in progress!

Codman, thanks very much for the information. I stand ready and willing to be converted! I just wish all these wonderful places were a little bit closer to the East Coast!

The two places my dive travel agency (Island Dreams) is really pushing are Puerto Gallera (El Galleon or Atlantis--no idea which beach either is near) and Dumaguete (Atlantis or Bahura). Would either of those locations be a good pick in December for us, do you think? Is it feasible to try to do both in one trip?

I'm going to look up Anilao right now--as I know nothing about it! Do you recommend any resorts/hotel/dive operation there?

Thanks again!

Codman, for this big an investment and for this big a trip, I guess I'm too wussy and too lazy NOT to use a dive travel agency. This is our grand adventure to Pacific diving which I have been planning for years. We only have two weeks and I know that December is not the best time to go--but we have no choice. So that's why I've been hung up on not just WHERE to go but WHEN.

5 weeks at one dive location is a long time! What time of year did you go to PG? Can you give us an idea of why you love it so much and have become such an ardent advocate for it?

Well, Atlantis and Asia divers (EL Galeon) are top notch. You will have a good time at those resorts...:coffee:

I went to PG to do a DM course. initially, I wanted to travel around a bit and dive elsewhere, but I made some great friends, was having such a great time, that I decided to stay for my full trip (5 weeks) and do a Tech course. The diving in PG is so good and varied (according to my personal experience there and to other credible people on this forum who have dove elsewhere in the PI), that I didn't get tired of the diving at all! 75 dives there and not 1 was dull! I was there in February-March, some of the colder months (water was 23-25ºC).

Advocate for PG?:cool2: Well, honnestly it's not that I love it that much, but more that I haven't been to the other dive destinations in the PIs. So it's hard for me to be as "Ardent" about places I haven't visited, and I try to give out help here about the other dive sites according to what I've read from some of the resident experts who have. I've learned a lot reading their posts and I can pass some of that basic info along to help others, but try to keep it "general" sinces it's only what I've read. In the case of PG, I did spend 5 weeks there, so I can advance my knowledge/ oppinions a with a bit more certainty...:coffee: I might seem as though I'm very enamoured of PG, but I'm pretty sure if (when...:D) I get a chance to dive the other good destinations I'll be just as enthousiastic...

The marine life in the PIs simply boggled my mind. it blows the caribean away, hands down. The biodiversity is incredible with some of the most unique creatures I've ever seen. But the people and the culture really impressed me too! I met so many nice, kind, interesting Pinoys and Pinas while there and made some very dear friends. The only down side I found is the 24 h travel time it takes me to get there...:(

Great diving, great people, great place. Can't wait to go back someday, to dive and to see friends... And hopefully meet up with more of the PPDers this time...:D

Codman, for this big an investment and for this big a trip, I guess I'm too wussy and too lazy NOT to use a dive travel agency. This is our grand adventure to Pacific diving which I have been planning for years. We only have two weeks and I know that December is not the best time to go--but we have no choice. So that's why I've been hung up on not just WHERE to go but WHEN.

5 weeks at one dive location is a long time! What time of year did you go to PG? Can you give us an idea of why you love it so much and have become such an ardent advocate for it?

Apo Island is a 30 minute boat ride from Atlantis (Dauin) so you don't have to stay on the island to dive it. I went ashore when I was there and the facilities are basic. It's more on the camping out end of the scale than the all-in dive resort end.

I paid $US200/night at Atlantis booking direct and that included all meals and "unlimited day boat dives". A four night stay included one three-tank trip to Apo. There's an additional charge for twilight (mandarin fish) and night dives. I got sick and missed some diving so I'm not sure about the limits of "unlimited".

You can stay at PG Atlantis and PG Dumaguete and get some synergy but you are going to lose a two days of diving moving between the two places since the trip will take most of a day and require flying. Dumaguete/Moalboal/Bohol is a 1/2 day of traveling between each of them and doesn't require any flying.

The only thing I didn't like about Atlantis was that I had to wire them payment in full before my reservation was accepted. I could use my credit card for additional charges (drinks, extra dives, souvenirs), but not for the actual stay. I was able to wait until just before I left but, at least in theory, they could have been full. The reality is that the first part of December is really slow and the resort was pretty empty. There were more divers on the weekend but it was still far from sold out.

Sorrows,
I've been to all those places in the Carribean you mentioned and since 2005 I only went back there one time (for internatiuonal dive travel) as I realized the better diving is in the Pacific. The Philippines holds a special place in my heart, so much so, I been there more than half a dozen times. The resorts and liveaboards are more reasonably priced without sacrificing comfort, safety, and quality of diving. Of course, like any dive destination there are "backpackers specials" sometimes in the same resort which offer more luxurious accomodations.
I highly suggest you start looking at the web sites of the different resorts mentioned to you (use google) and contact them to get an idea what various packages/ameneties are like, none of which are binding until you make some kind of payment. In my first reply to you, I mentioned destinations depending on whether you will land in the airports of Manila or Cebu. These are the only 2 airports serviced by the major airlines which will allow you to get there the fastest. Being you are in the east coast of the US, one airline I recommend is EVA Air which arrives in Manila (it does not go to Cebu) before noon, allowing you the chance to get to to the resort the same day of your arrival. The major destinations after arriving in Manila are Anilao (in Batangas) and Puerto Galera (in Mindoro).
If you decide to land in Cebu, Cathay Pacific leaves in the morning arriving at about 8pm the following day. Cebu offers more choices, within the island of Cebu itself (Malapascua, Moalboal, Santander) or in surrounding islands (Panglao and Cabilao in Bohol, Dauin in Dumaguete, Sogod Bay in southern Leyte) all doable without having to ride an airplane after arriving in Cebu.
Make a search in Scubaboard, Wetpixel, Digideep, X-ray Magazine (there were at least 2 major articles about Philippine diving in different issues of X-ray Magazine), etc., to get an idea which destinations/resorts repeatedly get a good rating. All transfers can be arranged by any of these resorts, which I would recommend you have done by them.

Codman, it's obvious PG holds a special place in your scuba heart and I think I can understand why. Bali Hai and all that. Some places can have that effect on you.

Tannebil, thanks for the info. We would be arriving in mid-December and staying through Christmas (although not New Years) so we should expect crowds, yes?

cim72lando, I know the diving in the Pacific must be superlative to anything I've experienced, but what's a poor Eastcoaster to do? Take that $1500+ airfare and multiple it by three. Yikes! And it's at least 24 hours traveling--most likely more! How do you guys manage that, btw? Drugs? Meditation? Hypnosis? I love to travel and I love to dive, but every year I hate flying more and more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom