which digital camera to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've narrowed it down between 2 cameras. they are the same except for the megapixals, and they both can be used with the same underwater housing. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any expereince with either of them.

Sony DSC-P8 3.2 mp

Sony DSC-P10 5mp

Thanks,

I've had some Sony digital cameras before, but not either of those two. It was a while ago, now I use a Olympus 4040 which is great, but is already discontinued. :15a:

If all things being equal (or almost) I would go for the higher resolution unit.

I hate making decisions, especially ones that cost this much money. I read some reviews on the P10 5mp and some folks were unhappy with the picture quality, so I guess I was hoping someone on here had some experiences with it.

Help!!!

sorry, don't know about sony. the higher res unit would also be my choice. i have
a cannon 3.2 mp, and it rocks.

i have an olympus c-5050 and i luv the camera. my dad had a 3.2mp sony and i didn't like it very much. desn't give you much manual control. i prefer the olympus c-5050

i have the p10, but havent used it very much

I haven't used either of these before but have had several divers through with the 5MP and a couple with the lower end one.

Although they are "happy" with their results, none are ecstatic and all have complaints...espcially when they compared theirs to some shot by other divers with other systems.

Personally, I wouldn't head towards Sony...

I am using a Canon S400 4MP camera with the OE underwater housing and I love it. It's no professional camera with super micro and wide angle lenses, but as far as point-n-shoot cameras go, it is one of the best.
It's super small, easy to use has a fairly good zoom ,good built in flash and macro, as well as a proper movie mode with sound (even under water)......in short - it's awesome!

I have used a Sony for a shot period of time (just above water) and I hated their menus and button assignments/placements, picture quality was so-so - but then again it could have been just the model.

Wendy:
I hate making decisions, especially ones that cost this much money. I read some reviews on the P10 5mp and some folks were unhappy with the picture quality, so I guess I was hoping someone on here had some experiences with it.

Help!!!

I used my P10 last Feb. in Bonaire for the first time. I haven't figured out all the manual settings yet, so all my pics were in auto mode. I was pleased with the results after I ran them through PhotoShop. It tends to take pics toward the green side and you have to adjust the colors a bit. I like it for it's size, as diving is not the only time I use it. IMHO it's a good "starter" camera for the money. After seeing a Oly5050 a buddy had and the pics others here have gotten, I will spend the extra money next time and look at Oly.

Jetwrench

Wendy: You know you always get more than you ask for. Definitely go for more pixels - whatever you buy. The Sony DSC-P10 and housing will run you about $525 or so. I'd echo some of the other folks and suggest that you consider another brand - like an Olympus or Canon. You probably have good reasons about why you're looking at the Sony, so just ignore this if you really are set on one of the two you listed. I use a Canon S50 and it's Canon U/W housing. The S50 is also a 5MP camera. Camera and housing will probably run you about $50 more than the Sony. I switched from Sony when I bought my Canon - and, above or below the surface, the shots are great and I'm glad I listened to the folks on this board. Anyway, this advice is free, so take it for what you paid for it. Good luck - whatever you do.

Let's get wet! :palmtree:
Eric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom