Which compact P&S camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxwolfie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been on the lookout for a P&S camera to compliment my DSLR for when I need a compact camera. I have owned a Canon G9 previously and I found it to be far too bulky, i.e. it didn't fit in my pocket and required a small bag to carry. I am looking for something that is widely used on the forums as a solid underwater camera, but also wanting to be able to take it out of the enclosure and pop it in my pocket for use on land too.

* Compact
* Diving to only 18m (to start with at least)
* Full manual control (shutter/aperture/ISO)
* Must be able to shoot in RAW

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Max, fairly limited field. You have:

1. The canon S95. Small, and you have your choice of the canon case (not that well made, but works) or several high end cases.

2. The new Oly xz-1. A bit bigger (but not G9 size). Oly has what appears to be a nice housing for it. Bigger zoom. Faster lens and better low light images.

3. The new fuji F505 and F550. Huge zoom ratio. A ton of features and as with the other three, it shoots raw. They will have a case for it, and their cases are fairly nice (double seal on the back for example), but the huge zoom makes for a larger case. Not likely to be able to use add on lens (if that is a concern).

4. Panasonic LX-5. Also a bit bigger than the S95, but smaller than a G9. Lovely camera, but only two housing available for it, a 10BAR and a new Ikelite.

I own a S90, a G10, a LX-5 and shortly XZ-1. If your DSLR is a canon, then would suggest the S95 (as the controls will be familiar). If you plan on using an external strobe, then your choice may be guided by that.

If you like wide angle, but don't want to buy an add on lens, then the LX-5 and the fuji would be the camera of choice.

Overall, I like the zoom and lens on the Oly..

I use the Sea&Sea DX-1G; however, the DX-2G will meet your requirements. I have used the DX-1G for both underwater and above water pictures, and I believe it gets great results. It has a very short lag time, there are many accessories that you can add, it can be used as both a P&S and full manual camera, and it does offer a RAW format. You can see some shots I've taken with the camera by clicking on the "photos" link in the left panel of this post.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the tips.

My current camera is a Pentax K-x, so button positioning is irrelevant I guess.

Was initially steering towards the S90/95, but they don't have a really WA lens built in.
* What's the different between these cameras? Looking on dpreview, they appear to be identical ( in terms of spec), apart from price.
* I assume UW cases for the S90/95 are interchangable?
* Dodgy Canon UW housings don't sound very good.

LX-5
* Maybe a bit too bulky?
* Good WA
* Lack of support on forum

Fuji
* Sounds good but know very little about Fuji in general.
* Lack of support on forum

Very keen for an out of the box solution with a very WA lens, for holidaying (taking photos of buildings etc), and of course marine life without having a huge lens attachment at the front. Because of this, I am looking more seriously at the Pansonic LX-5 and Fuji's offerings, though I am not so familiar with Fuji and doubt their ability/support of forums (such as this) a little as they are not really as mainstream as the big four or five. Having said that though, I am practically almost completely turned off by anything that's NOT a Canon or Oly by simply looking at the activity levels in each manufacturers section on this forum., I.e. I want a lot of support/suggestions and third party parts & accessories.

So really, back to the Canon or Oly offerings really, if that's what everyone swears by. Again, the smaller the better really. Budget up to $600-$700 AUS, for camera only. (so anything goes really). Not sure about budget for UW housings, maybe up to $500?

EDIT: I *may* want to attach an external strobe at some point, I assume this is done via hot shoe? Then again, if I get that "into it", I'm more likely to fork out for a dedicated camera for UW use.

The S95 is an upgraded S90...the S90 (I have two of them) had a few "issues" they improved on. There was a lens issue (it could easily get stuck), a low light focus issue and I believe they upgraded the video. They also made the case a bit smaller.

Like many companies, Fuji has made a few really good underwater camera's and a fair number of not so good ones. I've owned three of them over the years.

This latest one is pretty amazing, and I will buy one just to see how it works. It covers a huge zoom range.. from really wide to really telephoto (24mm to 360mm). Given the price, it will be a steal, if the preproduction images match the production ones.

It does HD movies in 1080p, and can shoot at 340 fps...why, I am not sure. And it shoot raw. At a US price of around $350, it should be the biggest bang for the money.

As a carry around camera, would doubt it gets much better.

Not the best lens for underwater, as the lens travel is too far.

I think it might be between the S95, LX-5 and maybe (just maybe..) the Fuji (new one)

Any other thoughts appreciated.

* I assume UW cases for the S90/95 are interchangable?
Not a good assumption. Ike housings can be converted but others, no

* Dodgy Canon UW housings don't sound very good.
They work well enough and offer good value for the price. $180 for the Canon or $1000 for the Fix housing and not much in between. Both keep out water equally well.

Very keen for an out of the box solution with a very WA lens, for holidaying (taking photos of buildings etc), and of course marine life without having a huge lens attachment at the front.
Remember the FOV is 25% narrower underwater so if you want wide angle underwater, you pretty much have to attach a lens on the front.

Budget up to $600-$700 AUS, for camera only. (so anything goes really). Not sure about budget for UW housings, maybe up to $500?

I *may* want to attach an external strobe at some point, I assume this is done via hot shoe?
S95 w/ Canon housing ~$600 US$ (Not sure how much how much taxes bump that up in AUS but the $ exchange rate is about even.) That leaves a fair amount of change for a flash. And flashes generally use a fiber optic cable, not a hot shoe.

So, any reason to NOT get the S95? Sounds like a winner to me so far. The fact that it's pretty slimline is a big plus too.

S95----& you'll already be kinda familiar with it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom