Which commercial dive school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My step kid is looking to make a career of commercial diving. He is graduating highschool this year and was wondering which programs we should seriously consider enrolling him?

Questions we should ask and certifications we make sure he pursues .

We’re located in the south east USA.. but I would be willing to nudge him to which ever direction he needs for the best program.

Is he a diver now? Does he have any mechanical skills?
He is, he has his AOW and is on the dove shop’s spearfishing team. (How me and his mom met). He has about 150 dives under his belt
He has also been doing dual enrollment in school and has a couple of his welding certifications (don’t remember which ones)

Which program would be the best to try and get him in ? The one in Washington ? San Diego?
Either program in Florida?

Questions we should ask and certifications we make sure he pursues .

Here are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Of course he can learn the minimum of what he needs in a good commercial dive school but these skills will give him a leg up. Gaining some of these skills will make a dive school easier and the lessons "stick" more effectively. The idea is to gain lifetime skills as opposed being able to pass a test and missing the big picture once he gets into the real world.

As you both probably know, com-dive-school is just the beginning. You can expect an apprenticeship of sorts, commonly called being a tender. The first job will likely include time in the shop. The more skills he has the better chance he will have getting that first job and performing well.

Black Water​

I wrote this for recreational divers but it actually applies more to commercial diving candidates. Becoming comfortable in black water will put him ahead of a lot of people.

Make up some mechanical puzzles for him to work on while you are at it.

Rigging Skills​

Rigging is an essential skill. A summer job with a crane operator would be time well spent. Learn to tie knots in black water, know how to operate come-alongs, basic safety and hand signals, etc.

Seamanship​

Has he spend much time at sea? You really want to know that he won't get seasick before making this investment in time and money. It can be a show-stopper. Becoming familiar with boats and ships is always useful. Here are some REALLY basics thread written for recreational diver but is a start:

Diving​

Recreational diver training is pretty lame. Taking a Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox course will give him the knowledge to make the physics and physiology side of com-dive-school much easier, especially the mixed gas training. A Rescue course is also highly recommended for the confidence and skills it will build.

Welding and Fabrication​

This is huge. Certifications are excellent but working 2-6 months in a weld shop, ship yard, or even offshore would be time time well spent.

Kirby Morgan Technician Training​

Take a 50 new dive school grads. All other skills being equal, the dive school grad who is also a certified Kirby Morgan Technician will get hired to service the hats.

SLTC Young Memorial in Louisiana, or MNDTC in Brainerd.

It's advisable for the inland market at least, to have some pretty solid carpentry, ironwork, and some masonry background. Not required but it's just construction like any other out there..

Personally, I would emphasize, that it is not an easy career to make a good living. Some are tenacious enough and never quit. all the big schools have been busted one time or another for cooking the books for aid, placement, etc.

Back
Top Bottom