Which Camerea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eeg0323

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am faily new to SCUBA and even more so to underwater photography. I am interested in a camera for use while diving. I laready have a good digital for land. I was wondering if anyone had comments about The Sea & Sea MX-10 or MX5II or the Sealife Reefmaster RC. I know they are not in the class of the Olympus but really not ready to shell out the big bucks just yet. Also, each has a built in flash so I was also wondering if a strobe is necessary.
Thanks for any input.

Warning: Tough subject cause of the skill set(being new to scuba).

MY RECOMMENDATION is to master scuba skills first and then come back and ask that question. Task loading becomes a issue when trying to combine UW photography and new scuba skills.

JUST MY .02

You can get a 3mp or 4 mp digital camera and housing for pretty close to the same price of an MX10 (without the accessory lenses and strobe) these days. The digital camera will shoot circles around an MX10 after maybe 1 day of practice. I have the entire MX10 package (accessory lenses and flash), not cheap, and my 2 year old discontinued digital camera gets better, more consistant results with much less hassle than the full MX10 setup. You can pick up an equivalent set up (camera and housing) to the digital one I have for maybe $350-$400 these days.

If you don't want to shoot the moon and spend $600-$650 for an Oly 5050 setup that's OK. Just don't go making the mistake of spending $300-$400 bucks on a camera that isn't likely to match the results of a digital setup in the same price range. Middle price range digitals are much more flexible - built in telephoto, autofocus, exposure, ability to frame your shots using the LCD screen... I could go on - than any of the point and shoot film cameras out there.

good luck,

Steve

Of the 3 you mention, I think the MX-10 is definately the best. It's easy to use and great shots are possible with it. I would stay away from the MX-5, I haven't seen anything drcent from one and the reviews I've seen have been dismal. The Reefmaster would come in a distant second.

I think a strobe is important to the MX-10. Unlike todays digital cameras, the internal flash on the MX-10 is rather weak. About all it does very well is to highlight the backscatter. You'll pretty much need a strobe to get more than snap shot pics.

I can't help myself...I have to mention that you can still get a good 3-4MP digital camera and housing for almost the same that the MX-10 and strobe will cost you. Olympus and Canon both have very reasonably priced set-ups. Please check it out before you limit yourself.

I also have to advise you to wait until you have perfected your bouyancy, checking your gauges is second nature and you are very comfortable in the water before you add the task load of a camera.

Just in case, here's one of the first I every took with my MX-10/YS40a about 8 years ago. While very good at the time, if it had been digital, the focus would have been much better! :wink:

aak.sized.jpg

eeg0323:
I aready have a good digital for land.

what kind do you have for land? have you thought about seeing if they make a housing for it so you can take it underwater?

steve

My girlfried and I have been diving with the MX-10/YS-40 with very good results. Though it's a great camera I agree with DEE about digital being superior. I'm also definitely in agreement that you get your bouyancy and dive skills down pat before getting really serious about buying camera equipment.

We're in the process of our upgrade now. For my girlfriend's birthday I have ordered her the Oly 5050, PT-015 Housing, Sea&Sea YS-90 Auto, Fisheye Tray/Arm, Inon WAL w/Caddy.

I hope she likes it! (Thanks to all your posings on here for advice!)

Capt...except for the Inon WAL lens, that's the same rig I have. She's gonna love it!

Goto www.digideep.com and check to see if your existing digicam has an UW housing... you could save a few $$$... I would check there first and then if they don't, go with a digicam...

i just got the Cannon SD100 and underwater housing for less than $500.00 and
have loved it. great topside camera as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom