Which Camera????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmharley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at 2 different cameras and would like your opinions if you use them. Good and bad please. They are the Sony A100 and Canon EOS rebel XTI. Thank you all for all input.

I think you'll find more housing choices for the xti. I'm partial to the A100 because I already have some minolta lenses however I were starting from scratch its hard to ignore the superior sensor in the Canon.

UW support for the Canon is far superior. More lens/strobe options too.

Jack

I beleive that the sensor in the Sony is the same (or very similar) as used in the Nikon D200 and D80. I use the Nikon and am very impressed with it's sensor.

I don't think that you will be dissapointed with either the Canon or the Sony camera, I have also used the Canon EOS rebel XTI and was not happy with the controls and their layout for pure manual shooting, but them I'm already used to the Nikon layout.

As already mentioned, for underwater, I would stick to either canon or sony due to the support housing support for those companies.

Take care,
John

Canon and Nikon are always supported by the underwater housing manufacturers. The A100 has a housing from Ikelite, but thats pretty much it from the big name guys. Whereas the Rebel XTi is well supported. I

kelite, Sea & Sea and Seatool all have great housings out for it. Im still partial to aluminum housings for SLR's, so the Sea & Sea and Seatool housings are the way to go. Without a doubt, go with the XTi over the A100!

Fantasea Line also has a great new housing for the 400xTi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom