Which camara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icemyst7

Reaction score
I am new to scuba and I want to beable to take pictures of my dives. Which camara is the best for beginners? I kinda want to get a digital one so that I can put the pictures on the web.

What I'd recommend you do for starters is to get a Reefmaster or an Aquashot. These are film cameras, but inexpensive, and great to learn and practice with. Probably the biggest problem with inexpensive digital cameras and underwater photography is the delay factor, which will inevitably capture a lot of fish tails but very few fish.
Here are some shots made with a digital (expensive one) on a dive off Panama City last month - and you can go from that page to some shots made with an Aquashot to see some samples of what you can do with a cheap film camera.
http://homepages.msn.com/SupportSt/rickmurchison/turtle.html
Have fun,
Rick

Originally posted by icemyst7
I am new to scuba and I want to beable to take pictures of my dives. Which camara is the best for beginners? I kinda want to get a digital one so that I can put the pictures on the web.

I think it's Sealife/Reefmaster that has just come out with an entry level digital camera. It has it's limitations but if your main goal is to post the pictures on the internet and not print enlargements, you should be fine.

As Rick mentioned, the delay factor is there but you learn to work around it! I think the advantages of digital outweigh having to plan your fish shots.

At 2 mil. pixels you can have your digital pictures printed to put in an album to show your friends or you can print them yourself if high quality isn't necessary. But you'll be able to share them on the 'net just fine.

Im glad someone asked this question. Im a new diver too. Just certified about 2 weeks ago. I definately plan to make UW photagraphy a large part of my diving. No one in my immediate family dives and I would love to show them the world I will be experiencing.

I have seen both the Sea & Sea and the Reefmaster advertised alot in the dive magazines I subscribe to, but I haven't paid that much attention to them just yet. Im still reeling over my basic equipment purchases. :)

A nice camera can wait till after I take my UW photography class. Do they give discounts if you have an UWP specialty? Probably a dumb question but worth asking.

The instructor who teaches UWP at my LDS was a professional photographer (guess she still is?) until she took up scuba. She now works full time at the LDS. I guess when the time comes, she will be able to answer all my questions.

Originally posted by ScubyDoo

A nice camera can wait till after I take my UW photography class. Do they give discounts if you have an UWP specialty? Probably a dumb question but worth asking.

The instructor who teaches UWP at my LDS was a professional photographer (guess she still is?) until she took up scuba. She now works full time at the LDS. I guess when the time comes, she will be able to answer all my questions.

No...no discounts! The c-card you get is totally useless. The photo pro at your LDS can answer alot of your questions and help you with the basics. Until you can afford a camera, I'd suggest you start reading and studying on your own so that when the time comes, you'll have a good idea of what you really need and what to expect out of it.

I have used a Reefmaster since right after I got my cert. I have been using it for about 1 1/2 years now and thoroughly enjoy it. I bought a scanner so after I scan the pics onto a floppy I put the print in a photo album.

Dee is right about reefmaster coming out with a digital. From what I have heard it isn't too bad but limited.

Either way you can't go wrong. Taking pics is a great way to capture your underwater adventures.

As I read the various posts of newly certified divers anxious to get into UW photography, may I offer the suggestion that new divers consider deferring the camera action until they have really mastered buoyancy control. I am sure you are excited as all get out at what you are seeing and want to share it with your 1 ATM friends. UW photography starts from total control of your body underwater, as you move to get in and hold a position until the composition falls into place. Good pictures don't "just happen" because you snap a picture; you have to patiently wait to get it all together and then try bracketing exposures . . . Goodness knows every UW photographer will fess up to having countless rolls of embarassing bad pix - UW photography is a lot more than point and shoot.

Give yourself a fighting chance by getting your diving skills sharply honed and hold off on the camera until you have an appreciation for the control that's really needed. And I can assure you that others on the dive will be equally appreciative, because there are few things more frustrating than a UW photographer stirring up the sea bottom and inadvertantly hitting/killing coral.

Originally posted by AllenG
As I read the various posts of newly certified divers anxious to get into UW photography, may I offer the suggestion that new divers consider deferring the camera action until they have really mastered buoyancy control.

Good point Allen!

I have already signed up for the Peak Performance Buoyancy specialty. Class starts two weeks from today. Its the very first thing I signed up for after my OW certification because IMHO its the most important. Im pretty sure I said in my post that the photograpy part would come a bit later?

Actually my buoyancy skills are pretty good for a newbie. I can hover very well, and would never get near a reef until I was confident I had good neutral buoyancy. Even then I would maintain a good buffer zone away just to be conservative. If theres anything Ive learned about scuba its "be conservative".

Allen...you are absolutely correct, I should have mentioned it myself.

A few of the skills that are required for photography are...
Hovering in one place with no movements of hands or fins using only your breath control. Touching any living thing to stableize yourself is a no-no, even with one finger. That one fingertip placement can and will kill coral.

The ability to hover just inches over the sand or delicate coral head means your gear has to be contained with nothing dangling to damage the environment. NO photo is worth damaging that which we wish to photograph. This includes fishlife as well. Photos of puffed up Pufferfish or seahorses wrapped around your finger only prove your stupidity.

Always, ALWAYS be aware of where your fins are. More damage is done by photographers with their fins than anything else.

Do not neglect your safety for the sake of a photograph. Always keep a close eye on your gauges. No photograph is worth your life. There will be other dives to find what you missed.

Learn photographers etiquette. You are not the only person on the reef so don't act like you are.

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

When you can do these things, whether you have 30 dives or 300, then consider adding a camera to your task load.

Not that I don't agree with Allen, some of us aren't looking for that prize winning shot, that's why we're looking for an entry level camera. Point and shoot... no hassles. I agree that controlling your bouyancy is very important, but you can still snap a shot off of something cool you see without waiting for that magic moment.

JMO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom