Which boat for Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gballard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am going to Florida in mid May, I would like some info on a great dive boat to get on. I have looked on the internet, and there are a lot of choices. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to go cheap while you're there. :D

I've been on the Amorey........ In Key Largo right off Hobo's (sports bar / restaurant)... long ride out.... but thats also enjoyable.....

Friendly people....

I recommend that you check out Elbow Reef.... more specifically the City of Washington.... its a great dive... lots of fish........

Jorgy......

P.S.
I also have some friends who own some boats/charters in the Keys.... tell me what kinda diving you wanna see, and the budget and ill advise you further.........

Pm me if you want...

I dove with Amoray two diffent times. I will not use them again. The last time we ran out of gas on the way back to the shop. It was 2 1/2 hours before we got help. Yes they charged us full price for that trip. Go next door the Aqua-Nuts or Ocean Divers down the road.

McRatliff:
I dove with Amoray two diffent times. I will not use them again. The last time we ran out of gas on the way back to the shop. It was 2 1/2 hours before we got help. Yes they charged us full price for that trip. Go next door the Aqua-Nuts or Ocean Divers down the road.

That would have ticked me off. They should have at least given you a coupon for a free two tank dive or something.

I dove with Diver's City (now) in Tavernier when they were located in Key Largo a few years back, and their operation is awesome! Also, while weather kept us from going out, I have only good things to say about my limited experience with Capt. Jim Wyatt's operation. He's on the board, and shouldn't be hard to find.

I got my certification through Sea Dwellers in Key Largo a few years ago. They are very friendly and Scott is an excellent boat captain. I couldn't have asked for a better intro to scuba diving. We went back another time and was unable to dive with them because they were closed a few days for holiday and so we ended up diving with Ocean Divers. The only good thing we liked about Ocean Divers was that they had a nice Newton for a dive boat. Unfortunately it was kind of a cattle car operation and they let people smoke on board--which if you easily get seasick is a very unpleasant experience. We were missing Sea Dwellers very much and went back to dive with them as soon as they opened back up. I highly recommend them and if you stay at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, it is just a few steps out your hotel room to the boat.

Have fun--wish I was heading for some warm water!
Janet

I usually dive out of atlantis dive center there...they're a great group of people and extremely helpful. The best and most inexpensive place to stay would be gilberts. It's a couple blocks away from atlantis dive center and they have a restaurant and tiki bar on the premesis. Rooms there go for between $40 - $50 a night.

McRatliff:

You still did your dives... im sure you wouldn't expect an airline to refund / give you a discount / coupon you if your flight left late or was delayed....

I know... sometimes stuff happens... but how was your dive? Did you feel they were responsible with the role call? Did you rent gear from them (what condition was it in?)? Did you feel comfortable and treated in a "friendly" manor? Did they brief you properly on the dive and conditions expected? Did they help you into and out of the water (genuinly helpfull...)?

Thats the stuff that i really feel is important in a dive....

Just my $.02

Jorgy....

P.S.
I would have been pissed if i would have gotten stuck there for 2 hours too..... i just feel that you should not always categories them as a bad operation due to this.... but that is just my opinion..........

P.S.S.
Go eat a Hobo's after your dive... first drink is free.... and the seafood / food there is amazing! Probably the best in the keys! (for the price.....)

gballard:
Am going to Florida in mid May, I would like some info on a great dive boat to get on. I have looked on the internet, and there are a lot of choices. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to go cheap while you're there. :D
Define "great" in terms of what you're looking for: large or small boat; shallow or deep dives; Upper, Middle, or Lower Keys; etcetera, and you'll get better-qualified recommendations. Florida Keys dive boats and crews vary widely in their approach to diving and divers. What, specifically, are you looking for?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom