Which backplate and wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverJM

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a similar question... I am looking for a backplate and harness initially for for cold water twinset diving but eventually as my primary kit for single tank and twinset. I am currently in a back-inflate BCD (Aqualung Dimension I3) and will probably continue to use that for single tank diving until it wears out. For the twinset kit, I am a drysuit diver looking to use a pair of steel HP-100 DIN cylinders. I know I will be over-weighted so I am primarily looking for a good harness and backplate (to be used with a 45-60 lb lift donut style wing). I may mix and match the harness and wing.

I am considering the OMS Comfort Harness III or the XDEEP NX Harness. Leaning towards an aluminum backplate since I expect to be over-weighted and ease for eventual travel. I like the idea of an adjustable harness since it can be a pain getting into my current BCD with a drysuit on. Looking for a comfortable harness and backplate that will serve me well long term.

Which option do you recommend?

Rol diy

Contributor
Reaction score
For the twinset kit, I am a drysuit diver looking to use a pair of steel HP-100 DIN cylinders. I know I will be over-weighted

Depending on height and weight,
Not so sure you will be over weighted....
I am sure with a wetsuit you will be,

But with a drysuit,,, I think you will be quite close to perfect,,
also depends on your underwear thickness,

gqllc007

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a similar question... I am looking for a backplate and harness initially for for cold water twinset diving but eventually as my primary kit for single tank and twinset. I am currently in a back-inflate BCD (Aqualung Dimension I3) and will probably continue to use that for single tank diving until it wears out. For the twinset kit, I am a drysuit diver looking to use a pair of steel HP-100 DIN cylinders. I know I will be over-weighted so I am primarily looking for a good harness and backplate (to be used with a 45-60 lb lift donut style wing). I may mix and match the harness and wing.

I am considering the OMS Comfort Harness III or the XDEEP NX Harness. Leaning towards an aluminum backplate since I expect to be over-weighted and ease for eventual travel. I like the idea of an adjustable harness since it can be a pain getting into my current BCD with a drysuit on. Looking for a comfortable harness and backplate that will serve me well long term.

Which option do you recommend?DM sent

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would just get the DGX s/s backplate package with the Hog harness and the 30 lb singles wing.
You can use that here in California which sounds like most of your diving. If you plan a plane trip to warm water then get an aluminum plate and just use the 30 wing, it will be fine. Those wings are pretty compact.
I am nor Cal diver too. I am with Eric here start with SS and 30 lb wing. It is plenty of loft if you weighted properly. We dive with 30 in drysuit with thick undies. 30 is also a good size for Hawaii.

When you decide to travel, just buy AL plate and harness hardware. Just use the 30lb wing.

Since you mention tech in future, don’t mind the cost of extra plate. It is really peanuts in the world of tech diving.

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't see any problem in traveling with a SS plate, unless perhaps you're packing heavy photography equipment too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom