Which 5 Star Resort is best for families with children?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We are looking for a top quality 5 star resort in Maldives for a family with two children (10 and 12).
The children want to do their OWD, mother is non-diver.
Which resort would you recommend, ideally a top resort with a top quality PADI shop, good variety of diving (beach and boat dives) .....

Thank you for your recommendations ....

I've stayed at both the Park Hyatt and the St Regis. Most resorts will do a beach dive on the house reef for your acclimation dive before taking anyone out on a boat.

The St Regis was absolutely stunning, but as far as a dive op goes I wouldn't recommend it. When we were there (July 2019), the dive shop had its own schedule. MWF 2-tank boat dives, T TH 1 tank boat dives. You pay a boat fee each time, and they weren't too keen on setting up another dive of the house reef. Depending on your stay, this may limit the amount of diving you get in. For example, we were there Sunday through Friday, so really only got 2 days of diving in when I would have preferred more. Of course, you could choose to do a one tank boat dive, but I decided against it. We were able to do a night dive and came across a cuttlefish, which was fun to see.

The Park Hyatt is a bit opposite. They were happy to accommodate 2 tank dives, plus night dives. I felt like the house reef was healthier at the Park Hyatt, and much preferred the diving from their location. However, there isn't a kids club, and many guests gave a bit of a side eye to the people who showed up to the pool with 3 kids who were splashing around. It definitely isn't as kid friendly of an environment.

I had to cancel it, but I'd also look at the Westin. It is located in Baa atoll and isn't too far away from Hanifaru Bay for Manta Rays. There's also a kids club as well on site, so it might be a good blend of both worlds.

Provided the level of the divers is still relatively low (1 non diver + 2 young wannabe OW) you should choose a place where dives are not very difficult and with a good home reef where not only diving but also snorkeling is possible.
And most important THE HIGHEST PRICE DOESN'T MEAN THE BEST DIVES. In many cases you pay the luxury of the hotel and then you rent a boat... to reach atols with cheaper resorts but with a good home reef and dive there! I don't have specific suggestions, but whatever your choice will be make sure by checking reviews here or on tripadvisor that the resort you will choose has a good home reef with decent snorkeling/dives

I only have experience at Kuredu, without children, but I can highly recommend the resort and the dive operation, Pro Divers.

We’ve stayed at Kurumba several times. Excellent resort with great service and good Eurodivers dive team.

Back
Top Bottom