WhiBal: great product, but save yourself the grief and just say NO!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I attended one of Eric Cheng's digital photography clinics at the Boston Sea Rovers in early March. He showed off this cool gadget called WhiBal. It was four cards riveted together, one white, two different grays, and one black. He showed how he used it to color correct his photos. What a cool idea!

Jazzed, I decided to order one. I ordered it on March 11th. Three weeks later I had to send them an email, asking where it was. On April 2nd, they said they would ship it tomorrow. On April 3rd, I received an email saying it had shipped. I thought I was all set.

Well, it arrived, and it was not what I ordered. So I had to contact them again. On April 7th, Michael said he would be happy to make the swap, but would I explain why. So I did. I also had a deadline of April 21st as the last possible day I could accept delivery, due to an upcoming trip. Five days later, April 12th, he contacts me and says "Oh those 4-cards are tough to come by. How about one of these instead?"

I explained how I wanted what I ordered, that was why I ordered it, that I needed it by April 21st, and on April 13th he said he didn't understand, but would be happy to send me a refund. Then he added, "We can make you a 4-card if you want." YES!! That was what I had been asking for all along. So I said "Yes, please.", and promptly returned the wrong but originally shipped item to him.

Monday, the 17th, I get an email from him asking why I returned the item, and what action are we taking. So I again explained the entire saga .... I ordered the 4-card pocket and you sent the 2 card version, I want to swap it and you said that was possible, I need it by the 21st. Everything. And then I asked... "Can you send me what I ordered?"

Today, the 18th, I get an email saying they can ship the 4-card, but it will require express shipping and so he's refunding my money instead.

CRIPES!

So, be wary of using this vendor and instead try to find something on eBay. You do not want to live my nightmare.

Eileen

justleesa:
gees luise....what a PITA
I know. I should have just stuck to the suggestions here to use either a white slate or a cut up Clorox bottle.

Eileen

What "vendor" did you try to use? Did you try to order directly from RAWWORKFLOW.com? The website dosen't even show the 4 card set being available anymore. They have gone to a new "G-6" single card. This is one of the many pitfalls of the ever changing digital world. Evolution of digital is nowhere near complete and not even showing signs of slowing down. What is new and improved today is obsolete tomorrow. Even the Pros like Eric Cheng can't keep up.

The single card model is a much better idea anyway and you don't have to worry if the rivet is stainless steel or not. I do sympathize with the exasperation with the lack of comunication evidenced in the original order, though. Sounds like a one person operation that is a little overwhelmed with orders.

Yeah, silly me. I went right to the source, thinking that would be the most expedient way to go.

I had the G6 in my hands, and it ain't so great. I prefer the idea of the four individual cards rather than two loose ones that slide into each other. Plus, having the white, black, and two grays offers far more color correction than just one card with a ruler type decal.

I would willingly take obsolete, and actually asked for it! Geeze Louise.

Eileen

Rooster:
What "vendor" did you try to use? Did you try to order directly from RAWWORKFLOW.com? The website dosen't even show the 4 card set being available anymore. They have gone to a new "G-6" single card. This is one of the many pitfalls of the ever changing digital world. Evolution of digital is nowhere near complete and not even showing signs of slowing down. What is new and improved today is obsolete tomorrow. Even the Pros like Eric Cheng can't keep up.

sorry to hear of your grief, eab, thanks for the info though, while in the philipines i just used a slate and it seemed to work well, got the shots i wanted as well!!! good luck and have a nice trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom