Where's the Best Lake Travis Diving? Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
Hey fellow swampsters, I was wondering what your favorite dive sites are on Lake Travis and why. I've been to Mansfield dam once. Never been anywhere else on the lake. I have read through some of the old posts and was wondering about Windy Point.

Also, what are the conditions like down there right now. The wife and I are thinking about coming down to Austin this weekend and bringing our gear for a little Lake Travis diving on Saturday.
Any tips on good shore diving spots and will any of you Austin swampsters be on the lake this weekend?

Since my last attempt at replying timed out, I will have to give the short version.
Shore Diving:
Mansfield Park area. You have dove the dive area already so I assume you have seen the wrecks. You can also dive the wall or dive the river channel for deep diving. You can also dive the cove in the Day Use area. There are some grottos off the nearside point about an 8-minute u/w swim along the wall. Be advised that you will be under boat lanes. There are also grottos at the point on the farside of the cove. You can also dive around the corner from the farside point. You can dive in the cove for that matter. Depth of the cove get deeper towards the mouth of the cove.
Bob Wentz Windy Point Park. A Travis County park for day use with restrooms and picnic areas. The wall hear runs north-south and there are grottos here also. If you swim south along the wall you will find even more grottos, but you can end up under boat lanes. Good place for shallowing diving also.
Windy Point owned by Richard Barstow. A continuation of the diving area from Bob Wentz park. Richard has placed platforms for classes, statues and wrecks. There are ladders to get into the water. Richard runs a good operation. Camping, showers, restrooms (Chemcans).
Boat Diving:
Starnes Island. Probably the best place for diving on Lake Travis. Walls and usually pretty good visability. Cool place to camp too, IMHO.
Anchor Point. This is what I have known it as. This is just to the north of Starnes Island. A shop I taught for used to do their open water dives off a boat there. The north side of the point is a gradual slope and the other side is a mini-wall.
Oasis Restaurant. Not under the table, heh, heh, but below the restaurant! Good diving in the coves. Found several anchors there.
For grotto lurking, all the grottos I have found are at 600 feet MSL. So subtract 600 from the lake level and you have the depth of the grottos.
These are a few of my favorites. Have fun!

Hey Ron, I appreciate ya givin' me the skinny on the Lake Travis dive options. We may check out windy point or just go to Mansfield Dam area. It sounds like the best vis is Starnes Island, but we're gonna be shore diving this time..Oh well...
Thanks again!

Bring warm clothes. We are getting a front Saturday night and the Sunday morning temp is supposed to be 50 degrees. Have fun!

Windy Point public (Bob Wentz) is my favorite but the best diving there is deep. The trees are very impressive. Appropriate skill level,drysuit and can light recommended.

My favorite shallow site is Tom Hughes. It is a hike down to the water (especially with current lake levels) but that keeps the riff raff away :D Beautiful location and largest grottos I have seen in Travis. with the lake currently at 647 they will be at around 50 feet. Descend well to the left (facing out) and head away from the marina (right facing out) to see as much as possible. Purging a reg and surfacing in an air pocket is always fun

Back
Top Bottom