Where would you dive?

Given the following choices, where would you dive?

• St. Kitts & Nevis

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • St. Thomas & St. John

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrothead_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning on taking my wife on a trip in January 2007 for her Birthday. I will be using airline miles and hotel points so I am very limited on where we can go.

So given the choice of St. Kitts & Nevis or St. Thomas & St. John (USVI) where would you dive?

St. Thomas and St. John, and while you're there, take a ferry to the British Virgin Islands for more diving. I've only snorkeled in the BVI (and sailed) but would love to go back to dive. Lots of islands close to each other, lots of dive sites, lots of great restaurants and excellent lobster, plenty of everything. St. Thomas is quite touristy but still a fun place (try the Rum runner drinks at Fat Tuesdays). The 99 stairs are fun to experience as well. We missed a flight coming back from Tortola one time (our ferry back to St. Thomas was late due to poor planning on our part) so we had to spend the night on St. Thomas. It was great!! Are you using Marriott points? I've looked into that myself. St. John looks beautiful and romantic with lots of beaches and few people. 2/3's of the island is national forest (or park). Tortola and Virgin Gorda have great dive sites and top side entertainment as well (in the BVI). All these islands are close to each other which makes it easy to see and do lots (or little). My husband spent one vacation on St. Kitts and was unimpressed (said it was boring). Enjoy!

I have been to both places and they offer two different experiences. St. Thomas and St. John are more developed and will offer you a lot to do outside of diving and relaxing on the beach. If you want quiet relaxation then head to Nevis at the Four Seasons. There really isn't much there other than the hotel but their service is awesome and the diving is great for reefs but not wrecks like you can get in the BVI.

Doesn't help much but I would look at what you want with your diving to decide (other things to do or relax). If your using points, St. Thomas has a nice Ritz that I have been to. Not like the Four Seasons in Nevis but still very good.

I agree! I lived there for 7 years and the diving is pretty darn good. I, too love the BVI and the ferry is a fun trip. Stay at least a night or two. If you can do the Rhone, do that. Read the history before the dive, it is very interesting and 150 people or so perished in the hurricane. The huge rock cleaved and split the boat apart.....
Depending on how much time you have, I might consider staying in the BVI the whole time. It is so not touristy and has really great food. (Tortola) The diving there is relatively easy and The Baths is another very nice place, with huge boulder formations on a beach. Check it out on Google. Tortola is very safe. Be careful in St Thomas at night walking around.

Parrothead_Diver:
I am planning on taking my wife on a trip in January 2007 for her Birthday. I will be using airline miles and hotel points so I am very limited on where we can go.

So given the choice of St. Kitts & Nevis or St. Thomas & St. John (USVI) where would you dive?

Which Hotel points are you using?

Thank you all for your comments. I guess it looks like we will be headed too St.Thomas.

As for what points I will be using, Marriott & American Airlines. So that pretty much limits us to Frenchmans Reef. But from what I understand, this is one of the best resorts on St. Thomas.

The initial plan will be to spend 3-4 days diving, with a day trip to St. Croix and another day trip to to St. John. We then will head over to San Juan P.R. for 2-3 days before heading home.

St Croix VI has better diving than St Thomas/St John - can be reached by island ferry currenty and by sea plane. The Ferry just started up this year so they may still be working in 2007.

I'm using AA miles and Marriott points to go to Curacao next month. I must saw the resort looks amazing and all the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com list it as world class. It's on the same reef system as Bonaire and has a lot of shore diving. The island is bigger though and not as laid back as Bonaire from what I've read.

It's 30,000 AA miles and a Category 5 hotel for Marriott. We're going April 20-26th... those were the best days we could get AA flights coupled with the least amount of days having a cruise ship in port. One is there that Wednesday when we get there (leaving at 5pm) and then another there on that Saturday....

Here is the resort if you want to check it out!!
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/CURMC

St Thomas is great!! My husband and I got married there and then took a sail boat charter over to the BVI for some diving...

I have to agree that the diving is far better in St. Croix. The ferry is currently around $80.00 round trip. A second ferry is expected to arrive sometime this year. I would recommend Dive Experience( www.divexp.com ) in Christiansted. They will pick you up at the ferry dock. If you dive the West end of the island, I recommend Scubashack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom