Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first dive was in morrison springs in ponce de leon florida, my dad dove there as a kid, and when I got certified I went, and when he got re-certified that was his first open water dive, kinda weird isnt it.

Sunabe Seawall, Okinawa, Japan. As far as going back, I was there a few months ago and may go this weekend as well if I can't get some people to take a boat to some of the smaller islands. :)

my first Open Water check out dives were by King Coho Resort near Comox, BC on Vancouver island. Wasn't too spectacular but the octopus was really cool!!! Dives 3 & 4 were by the old Ferry dock on Quadra Island... have been enraptured ever since.

My true first dives were dives 1 & 2 in Comox Lake, and then dives 3 & 4 in Comox harbour... complete with running boat propellers over my head (I have to say though that the vis was unbelievable (prolly 40 feet) and the starfish were huge!). To top it off, the instructor didn't even accompany me, he sent his divemaster to do the dives with me and he stayed home - which was no where near the dive site. Needless to say he is not an instructor anymore.

And yes, I did do the open water course twice... I figured after the first time that there was a lot more to learn and I was right!! But diving has enraptured me ever since my friends convinced me to take the course with them!!!

Port Aransas (Texas) jetty at the end of October. The visibility was technically zero, and the current was so strong we had to hold on to some pier pilings. Our checkout skills were done by touch... I'm not sure that's legal.

That was the worst dive of my life. :upset:

Due to the worlds worst timing....

I did my OW in Horsea island in portsmouth which (for the non-UK divers) is an ex-WW2 Torpedo testing ground on the southcoast. Stagnant 1M viz, 5m's and no fish except a gazillion jellyfish (harmless). About 50% of UK divers qualify there and it sucks!

The irony is that due to my wife getting a new job offer halfway through my course, 2 days after completing my OW, I did my first non-course dive (checkout) as a shore-dive in 29 degree water in taba in Eqypt. Typical!!

Still, good to learn in the bad stuff so you are prepared, I guess!

Brrrrr!

i was lucky enough to do my first ow in the maldives at meeru fen fushi and was treated to my first sighting of whale shark...
kinda spoiled me though because i cant stand diving in the uk...brrrrr...lol

Niagara River, above the Falls.... several miles, or hours if you were to drift all the way down.

Cove #3 at Alki. Right across Elliot Bay from downtown Seattle. The water was +/-45 degrees. The temp on shore was 36 with an inch of snow on the ground. My wife thought I was nuts. In hindsight maybe, but I haven't been cold since.

Hmmm...

My first dives were 20 years ago... I spent 10 days on a 65 foot sailboat cruising around the Bimini islands. I was 15 on a boyscout trip out of the Seabase in the Keys but we had a large enough group that we chartered the larger boat (the largest that the scouts had at the time was a 35 footer). We had a scuba instructor along and I took the "resort course" and got to dive with him several times during the trip.

About 11-12 years later I met a dive instructor who was working part time for the company I worked for back then. He asked if I was interested in diving... He was my OW instructor and became one of my best friends.

I now DM for him and also buddy when we go on trimix/deco trips just for our own fun...

EDIT:
-----
My first OW dive was in an very cold inlet (Late October) on the Jersey shore across the street from a dive shop that no longer exists. I found a nice, small dive knife/shieth that someone dropped (noone ever clained it at the diveshop) and I still use it to this day... I had bought a BFK that went on about 2 dives total and has sat on a shelf ever since.

Back
Top Bottom