Where to work in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I'll do it!
I haven't decided where yet: I think anywhere on the caribbean side...
I saw that there are loads of shops but I heard that is hard to find a good job over there, that's why I'm asking...
Nobody has worked or is working over there?

Dont expect to make much, I too am planning on this. I have to first pay off all my credit cards, aquire the appropriate training, learn some spanish, and get any equipment I could ever need.

The instructor I spoke with in coz told me he makes about $400 a week including tips but he dives about 29 days a month and does about 700 dives a year in warm clear water. he lives in a small house that I would call a hut. he has no running water but he does have a fridge and stove. no other fancy stuff. thats coz though where stuff is harder to come by.

Its hard to get gear down there, at least odd stuff so if you think you might want to replace a fin strap or something make sure to bring everything. sometimes its easier than others but good luck finding a source for odd things like 6" HP hoses or port plugs and the like.

Good luck and do keep me posted.

Like every where else in the world, living in the Rivera, Playa del carmen, Cozumel, Cancun dependes on you, a little luck and paperwork to work legally here wich may be a pain in the neck, in Cancun and the Riviera there are all kinds of Gear, repair shops, and huge dealers and you can get anything you want, at the Dive op I work for we do have gear for sale and when a client wants something we find it here, although prices change, best choice for any gear here or anywhere in the world is Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com
the have the best prices.
I am an Instructor since 99 (diving since 89) I have worked at shops here in Cancun and in Calif.Usa.,I teach, sell, guide and help with the administration of the shop in high season I make a lot more than 400us a week. If you teach and sell at booths at hotels there is good money, I own a car, a very decent laptop (dsl) running hot and cold water, not a luxurious life but I do good (in the dive business you will not become a millionare). Cozumel like mentioned here before is a little different but I know people from Canada Instructors that make an awesome living no hutts, I also know DiveMasters that make the $ but dont have any and live in hutts.
In Playa del Carmen a good friend makes a salary of about 2000us he rents a decent 2 bedroom great location for 450usd. He has a car, dsl, computer, etc.
I know very many foreigners that come to live here some like my boss are American and have get acquainted with the life here wich is very different, you can get a diveshop to promote you immigration papers wich take a while and cost you. At the shop I work we have an instructor from Denver, just got married to a Mexican girl and is happy with the life here.
Hope this info is helpful to you

I know what the instructors life style and costs are...
I saw that all that area is full of diving centers and I read that a lot of them are not good at all, especially for working.
So what I´m asking is if somebody could tell me a few names of good school where is possible to get a good job.

theres always the shops that pay well and that dont, the nice bosses and the bad ones, good working conditions etc... but as always it depends on YOU.
when i first arrived in cancun i found a job with scuba cancun. i got put to the bottom of the dog pile and worked in club international as the pool inst. a good week with tips was $250, a good week.
i didnt complain, just enjoyed the work and the lifestyle. i proved myself to be a good inst and good with customers so the boss moved me to the marina/dive shop, i was banging out courses, dsds, cert divers and making over $3500 (all teaching fees) in the high season, big difference. he aslo paid me a salary to control the dm/inst.
i got tons of expereince at scuba cancun and after 2 years eventually moved on to make mayan aqua dive. ironically now im back in club international but as the boss and yes making more than $250 a week!
recommendations: you have to check it out for yourself, get the feel of the town, diving and lifestyle to see if it is for you, go to all the dive shops personally and meet the owners, crew, inst, you never get a second chance to make a first impression right?! if you want to dive dive dive look into cozumel or a big marina in cancun, scuba cancun for example or if you want to sell and dive this can be more $$$. aquaworld is famous for this... the inst are pool inst only and if they go to the ocean get they sea sickness, they do make $2500+ per month.
playa del carmen is a growing town and diving is booming there, speaking many languages should help your case and sure, expect around $2000 a month but working hard!
cavern diving can pay well, its a rewarding course and the equipment is expensive but the return can come back fast.
its all about you and getting your foot in the door really, all the horror stories about cold water and living in huts... come on... sure, you not going to make more than $30k a year but your living costs are less and the life style is good.

the only dive centres hiring in cancun will be scuba cancun (good starting option), aquaworld or solo buceo who i believe they have just entered the palace resorts so that could be a good shot, (dodgy op tho... very dodgy)
in playa, scuba playa or scuba libre are the big operators and well run shops, i like diversity divers too, cool guys.
dont forget the in-resort ops like mayan palace, ibreostar etc... you can do very well there.
drop me a pm if you want any contact numbers for the owners, i can help out there.... swing by and see me if your in cancun too, maybe i can help out but no promises!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom