where to stay/ who to dive with in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kchelton

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are looking at going to the Caymans at the end of July/early August. It sounds like the best place to dive is Little Cayman, but we don't want to spend a lot on this trip, so I was thinking Grand Cayman may be the better option. Is it possible to dive sites around Little Cayman if we stayed on Grand Cayman? We really just want to dive while we're there and not spend too much money. Does anyone have some recommendations for places to stay that are nice and diving in convenient, but not too expensive?
Thanks!

On Grand Cayman, I stayed at Cobalt Coast and dove with Divetech (right on site). Both are reasonably priced and I had a great time. The mile long scooter dive is a definate must if you can do it.

You can't stay on Grand Cayman and dive on Little Cayman. It's too long a trip for a dayboat, and even the Cayman Aggressor liveaboard can't always make the crossing due to conditions. There is plenty of good diving on Grand Cayman though. North, East, and South are all better than the West Wall.

I agree Cobalt Coast/Divetech is a good option. You could also look at Sunset House or Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers (East End.) Maybe Spanish Bay. Those are about the most dive-oriented places. Perhaps define "nice" and "not too expensive" - this is Cayman after all. :wink: Also define "convenient" - there are only a few places where you can shore dive or catch a boat right at your hotel, even fewer (one?) that you can do both. But any operator will pick you up at hotels in their area. Renting a car on GC is still a good idea, and once you've done that it's easy enough to drive to the couple of shore dive facilities.

I just dove with divetech in Grand Cayman and like the others before me would suggest that you should atleast look into them. They were very professional and I am glad I dove with them.

Thanks for the replies so far. By "nice" I guess I would say clean and spacious room. Ameninites like a pool and on-site restaurant are not important to us. We want to get the most diving for our money, that's our priority. We have stayed previously in places where we catch the dive boat at the hotel/resort, which was "convenient" because we only had to move our dive gear once the whole week. Since we're hoping to make this trip a little cheaper, that's not as important, but we do like the idea of staying close and hauling gear as little as possible.

I think you'll find that it's almost impossible to find a resort on Cayman without a pool. One of the least expensive places we found was Sunset House. I think they even offer some sort of AI package, at least they bundle the room and the diving. I have heard that since they are south of Georgetown that they dive the southern sites more if possible rather than running up to the North Wall. Not that that's a bad thing.

Post-Ivan they've refurbished a lot of the rooms so it should be pretty nice. Although you aren't looking for them, there is a pool, restaurant and also My Bar, a sandwich place that's a local divers hangout. It's 2min. to Georgetown, the market etc. also. Not sure if their rooms have kitchens though. And there's good shorediving right offshore.

Divetech/Cobalt Coast would be another good option. It's also some sort of modified AI. The downside it has (for me) is that it's pretty far north of SMB and the stores etc. Not a problem if you buy their meal plan, otherwise it will be a 10-15 min. drive minimum to Georgetown. It's the closest resort to the North Wall also, but it's a healthy swim from there. They'll drop you off by boat or rent you a scooter if asked.

Grand Cayman is still the most expensive Caribbean destination we've ever gone to if that's a factor in your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom