Where to Stay in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Durgon, you share an open air kitchen with the other guests, dive package is for 3 tank fills a day (not unlimited?) and not tanks (have to wait for your tank to be filled in between?) no nitrox available. Do they do boat dives from the inn?

Carib Inn, private kitchen in rooms, really hard to get a reservation because its so well loved, house reef meh, unlimited tank fills and not tanks (have to wait for your tank to be filled in between?)and no nitrox available. Bruce sounds fantastic and I feel better having an on island resource for dive gear rental or fixes - it seems his shop is open to outsiders utilizing paid services even if you are not staying there?

For the OP, In terms of Bari being busy, I went in October, which is shoulder season and the whole island was not very busy.!

Jen - I've only visited Black Durgon and Bruce Bowkers, never stayed there. I mention them as I know from others who have stayed there they are reasonable and highly recommended. It is my understanding Black Durgon is a shared kitchen. Story is that is why public access is no longer granted - people would dive Small Wall and then help themselves to the food and beverages the guests had in fridge ~ cheeky if its true! Bruce has various options including hotel w/ kitchenette style through multi-bedroom units. They have a common grill area out under a pergola. No knowledge of tanks, both offer boat dives (BD is SSI training facility) so I'm guessing tanks are available, not sure about Nitrox. My response was predicated on OP searching for economical solutions. I offer them as alternatives to the normal Buddy-Capt Don-Den Laman-Sand $$-Divi-Plaza-Belmar-Caribbean Club seen so often. I also hear good things about Hotel Roomer, I've driven by never stopped. The local realtor websites also offer rentals of condo's, Villas and houses from the small to the OMG!!

Oh yes, Bruce is certainly available to the public and worth a visit to see his gardens and check out the Carib Inn! Had a problem reg a few years ago and everyone we asked on island referred us to Bruce, well stocked bench, he doesn't rape on price and quick turn around (not to mention he's a native New Jersey guy).

KWinter - as to the bed situation, it depends - some have twin beds that can be configured into either a king or 2 twins and some rooms have multiple full or queen beds so no need to worry about sharing with another guy. Just one more thing you need to ask in advance.

I stay at Coco Palm Garden http://www.cocopalmgarden.org/CocoPalmEnglish.html). Apartments with a full kitchen, bathroom, living area, bedroom, patio with grill (charcoal). AC at extra cost but usually unnecessary in the winter. Apartments are in an enclosed area and are quiet. Coco Palm brings in a local restaurant to provide a $10 buffet on tues & thurs evenings when 10 or more renters are interested. Mirasol is a mere $64/night.

I have them arrange my truck and unlimited air packages as they have always beat what I could find on my own. Their driver will pick you up at the airport and take you to Coco or your vehicle rental depending on time of arrival. If you get in too late for vehicle pick-up the truck rental will deliver next morning. The location is just across the main north/south road about at Bachelors’ Beach (mid island N/S). Convenient to get into Kralendijk, the markets/gas, northern or southern dive sites. Air is through Dive Friends Bonaire - five locations spread north and south - pick up and drop off at any location http://www.dive-friends-bonaire.com/. Dive Friends can do any classes you want. I'm pretty sure they have instructors for PADI and SDI for AOW and perhaps more agencies. If you are Nitrox certified the upgrade is free.

Most of the resort dive shops allow you to dive - either for free or for a small fee. There are over 80 shore diving sites and boat dives can be alacart or done as a package. No problem whatsoever with diving solo. All things considered I don't think it can be beat. For what I would spend for a week at a resort I can stay two weeks at Coco.

Have being going to Black Durgon for many years. Its somewhat of an acquired taste. if it fits its great. obviously it has fit us pretty well.
yes its a shared kitchen and nitrox you have to do on your own thru Capt Don's ( which is where air at black durgon is from) Have heard about 3 tank restriction but who's checking--have never run into this problem. have visited but never stayed at Caribbean club but enjoyed my visit and would pick it over Buddy's. I've been to Bonaire Mar, Feb, Nov, and Jul. Barri reef is fine but always been a bit too busy for me that was issue I had with staying at den Laman. again that's me!

I stay at Coco Palm Garden http://www.cocopalmgarden.org/CocoPalmEnglish.html). Apartments with a full kitchen, bathroom, living area, bedroom, patio with grill (charcoal). AC at extra cost but usually unnecessary in the winter. Apartments are in an enclosed area and are quiet. Coco Palm brings in a local restaurant to provide a $10 buffet on tues & thurs evenings when 10 or more renters are interested. Mirasol is a mere $64/night.

not sure what your threshold for heat is but at 30C before counting in the humidity you need A/C for sure, and $15/night is a seriously steep price

i don't know what your total per person was, with 7 nights accommodation, 6 days of diving and pick-up truck(if you got one) but i found quite a few at a very reasonable price that includes all those, and even cheaper if you don't want the truck

I am wondering if his might be a good fit for some family coming to Bonaire. Can you answer if the tanks are fills or tanks? i.e., do you get one tank all week and have to wait to have it refilled? Also, do they provide boat dives? Thanks for your help! :)

Have being going to Black Durgon for many years. Its somewhat of an acquired taste. if it fits its great. obviously it has fit us pretty well.
yes its a shared kitchen and nitrox you have to do on your own thru Capt Don's ( which is where air at black durgon is from) Have heard about 3 tank restriction but who's checking--have never run into this problem. have visited but never stayed at Caribbean club but enjoyed my visit and would pick it over Buddy's. I've been to Bonaire Mar, Feb, Nov, and Jul. Barri reef is fine but always been a bit too busy for me that was issue I had with staying at den Laman. again that's me!

I have a question that folks usually don't post about. Beds. It's great when a couple really loves a place and recommends it, but if the rooms all have one double bed it doesn't do much good for a buddy trip. I like diving with my buddies, but I would prefer to have my own bed than to sleep with those perverts.

So what place is good for a whole bunch of guys willing to share rooms but not beds?
We have that problem, we travel as a mixed group of 7-10 single divers.

The Divi has 2 double beds in most rooms. But no kitchens. Bonaire Guest Accommodations with Ocean and Garden Views - Divi Resorts

You could also triple up in a 2BR condo at BelMar Condos - the 2nd bedroom has 2 twins. http://www.belmar-bonaire.com/index.php/apartments
Or 5 up in a Grande Deluxe - it's a 3BR with 4 single beds and one king. No food near BelMar though - about 5mins. drive to town.
Neither of these places are on the budget end though.

Sand Dollar's 2BR is a King and 2 twins also. Their 3BR is a King, A Queen and 2 twins. http://www.divesanddollar.com/

If there's a lot of you look at renting a house. We found one in Belnem. Someone (me:wink:) would've paid extra to get the Master to themselves but the other 3BR's were two twins. 3 or 4 baths IIRC. There was even a sofabed in the living room. Buy a dive package from Buddy Dive - their BelMar location is nearby - or Dive Friends - they have a location at Port Bonaire Condos near the airport + 4 more for tank exchange.

I found the house on either vrbo.com or Sunbelt Realty - Bonaire - Vacation Rentals Can't find it now or I'd post a link. In that area, waterfront means on low ironshore cliffs but this one had a small ladder. Probably near the Punt Vierkant dive site.

I don't know the bed situation but this is a 5BR rental for $3245/wk for 9-10 people low season + taxes. It's on the Cliff dive site just north of Habitat. There's a Dive Friends nearby or get tanks at Habitat or Buddy's if you want to use the drive thru. Sunbelt Realty - Bonaire - Bonaire Sunset Villa

diver jen,
i don't think they will arrange boat dives for you but everything is handled through Capt Don's. You have tanks delivered daily unless you want nitrox--then you pick up down street at Capt Don's. You pay extra for nitrox ($60 a week more). Again haven't really run onto any restrictions about number of tanks but not sure if I ever did more than 3 nitrox tanks a day. Not sure though if its a great place for overloads. Maybe divers paradise would be better for overflow situation. There are lots of choices.

Back
Top Bottom