Where to stay in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissabeads

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading the forums for the last several days and checking out numerous websites and now I am overwhelmed!

I will be heading to Bonaire with my husband and two teenage sons in June. This will be our first time to Bonaire. We are pretty new divers.. only dove in Coz and Kauai. A nice clean place with an easy entry (dock or walk in) would be great as well as a dive op that is easy to work with. and do a great job with orientation to help us all feel more comfortable with shore diving. Which I know we will love ( we don't do well with schedules)!

The boys will need a place to hang out and I have read that Bonaire isn't known for it's beaches.. but a little chunk of nice sand and a pool would be great as well as a TV for them to wind down. We would like to cook breakfasts and lunches to save a few bucks and keep the boys fueled :D!

Any advice?? Thanks in advance!

Hello.
There are a lot of places in Bonaire all equally nice. We stayed on the cheap side, so my wife and I stayed with our 2 kids at Casa Bonito, it's inland, has a kitchen, a small pool, and comfortable enough for the price we paid (Casa Bonito Apartments on Bonaire). But if you can afford it, I would probably suggest a hotel/appartment/dive shop right on the beach like Carib Inn (Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles - Scuba Diving and Accommodations - Home Page). I did my AOW certification with them and really enjoyed the staff and the facility. I would go back and dive with them.
Hope this help. Let me know if you need more info.

My husband and I just spent a wonderful 10 days at Coral Paradise Resort. If you get one of the lower rooms the pool is right outside your patio (kinda like having your own private oasis). They have cable TV in the rooms, internet connections and kitchenettes. They are also walking distance to 3 of the most popular dive sites on the island (La Machaca, Reef Scientifico & The Cliff). The diving is through Captain Don's (again just a few steps away). They have a very easy entry there via their pier and one of the better dive sites. It is also a GREAT night time dive site. The owners, Kenny & Margaret treat you like family and their prices are very reasonable. A rental truck is part of their package and they make it so easy for you. When you arrive there is a prepaid taxi waiting at the airport to take you to the resort and your vehicle is there already waiting for you. No standing in line and filling out paperwork at the rental agency.

If you decide to stay with them be sure to take Margaret some "Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs" and take Kenny some "Sun Chips". They will soon become friends for life.

Check them out at www.coralparadiseresort.com

I have been reading the forums for the last several days and checking out numerous websites and now I am overwhelmed!

I will be heading to Bonaire with my husband and two teenage sons in June. This will be our first time to Bonaire. We are pretty new divers.. only dove in Coz and Kauai. A nice clean place with an easy entry (dock or walk in) would be great as well as a dive op that is easy to work with. and do a great job with orientation to help us all feel more comfortable with shore diving. Which I know we will love ( we don't do well with schedules)!

The boys will need a place to hang out and I have read that Bonaire isn't known for it's beaches.. but a little chunk of nice sand and a pool would be great as well as a TV for them to wind down. We would like to cook breakfasts and lunches to save a few bucks and keep the boys fueled :D!

I would second Carib Inn though they are usually booked well in advance. Divi might be a good option because they are so close to town and you can walk lots of places. Great dive op as well.

I can highly recommend Den Laman. It might be a little more than you want to spend tho. The two bedroom unit has a full kitchen. Good luck finding a sandy beach! If you must have a sandy beach I would take the kids to the wind-surfing beach on the southeast coast (its on the free maps that you get on island). The only down-side is that there is a clothing optional place directly next door but its screened fairly well and you can avoid it by moving down the beach a bit. If you plan on cooking make sure you take a condiment pack with you. It sure beats buying a whole bunch of ketchup, mustard, coffee, sugar, creamer, salt, pepper, seasonings, that you will never use. If the kids have a favorite snack/cereal you may want to pack it. All of the groceries are Dutch and if the kids are finicky they may not want the Dutch version of Oreos, etc. You will also save mucho dinero once you are on-island. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the great tips! I will spend sometime tomorrow narrowing them down.

Tim.. I would have never remembered to bring condiments.. and throwing in a box or tow of cereal is a great idea... doesn't weigh much!!

You might want to check out Sand Dollar as well. It is a little tired, but on the water, with a pool and not too pricey.

I would look at the Caribe Inn. It has a small pool and a beach area. It's also close to town so that your kids could walk to the shops and resturants if they didn't want to dive. I've never stayed there but I visit them often when I'm in Bonaire and Bruce and his wife are wonderful people.

I have a small group going in June.Will send you a PM

Check out Buddy Dive Resort; they have everything you need: 2 pools, full kitchens, even a small sandy area (though not really a beach). The dive staff there is great. Breakfast is included, and you can choose between all shore diving or shore and boat diving. Free nitrox upgrades and the rental truck is included in the rates.

Buddy Dive's packages: Dive package

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom