Where to Stay for Cenote + Holbox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you want to take day trips to do Holbox and one of the less crowded Cenotes, where would you recommend staying assuming the rest of your days you will be diving?

Just on my own research, it looks like Isla Mujerers is a good choice. However, I love Cozumel. I am just not sure doing a daytrip to Holbox is very feasible from the Coz because it adds an hour for the ferry trip back and forth from Playa Del Carmen.

Any suggestions?

It's a sizable drive up to Holbox (especially if you get on the wrong road, the one with no off-ramps, to Chichen Itza). I'm not sure I'd want to do it as a day trip. I'd say, take a couple of days -- one to drive up and have some lobster pizza and another to snorkle with the whale sharks, get cleaned up, and drive back.

This also simplifies the 'where do I stay' question...

I don't know how long of trip you're planning, but if you want to dive cenotes and go to Holbox, staying in Cozumel or Isla Mujeres for the duration is not the best way to do it. Getting from Coz to cenote dives will be around a 2hr trip each way (depending on connections and timing) and $22 per person round trip on the ferry. From Isla to cenote locations you are looking at about 3+ hrs (depending on traffic coming down Hwy 307) and the cost of the ferry and transportation south. Isla to Holbox you'll have hours on a small boat.

Akumal, Aventuras or Tulum are good locations to stay if you want to do a few days of cenote diving. Akumal is pretty much half way between Playa del Carmen and Tulum and a good central point to all the most popular cavern dives. Guides will pick you up at your accommodations for your day of cenote diving.

There are organized trips to Holbox from the Akumal and PDC area, but it is a long day. You'll be leaving around 5-6am and back around 6-7pm. There are also trips from Cozumel, but again, it's a really long day.

You might want to fly into Cancun and go and stay on Holbox for a couple nights at the beginnng of your trip, then head down to Akumal to do the cenotes. If you want to spend a day doing ocean dives in Cozumel you can still do. One of the Akumal shops says they go weekly, and there are a couple in Playa that do as well. Or you could make arrangements with a Coz shop and just take the ferry over on your own.

If you want to take day trips to do Holbox and one of the less crowded Cenotes, where would you recommend staying assuming the rest of your days you will be diving?

Just on my own research, it looks like Isla Mujerers is a good choice. However, I love Cozumel. I am just not sure doing a daytrip to Holbox is very feasible from the Coz because it adds an hour for the ferry trip back and forth from Playa Del Carmen.

Any suggestions?

There is a much quicker way to get to Holbox. Try Aerosaab the best way to enjoy the mayan world! . More expensive but it sure does beat many hours of driving and they can pick you up in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom