Where to start ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look into one of the above essentials classes. Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent... Unless you know the corrections that need to be made. And figuring stuff out on your own is hard. Even coaching from a non-instructor but cave-trained diver would be good. I'd argue for doing that before some random AOW or deep class. I saw you already have Nitrox and that you took some class from IANTD.

I'd try out frog kick, it is very smooth and its resting position contributes to easier control of your orientation/trim. Also look at your weight distribution, there have been a few threads on that recently. And whether you are overweighed. But spend time looking at the fish as well. :)

Some threads that may help:
One on having a neutral/balanced weight distribution, though started from a 'trim does not matter' take: THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Buoyancy question how do you maintain a sitting hover? Also on weight distribution.

Priority of skills to master for new divers On many core skills.

Correct, I have taken my Nitrox class it was back to back with OW both IANTD. Didn't really see the point in expressing that in OP. I will take the advice on finding a MORE experienced diver to shadow. I can see the benefits. As far as AOW. Not sure why that class is so HIGHLY sought after. I have witnessed many AOW that shouldn't have passed OW. Not to say its not worth taking. But seems like if you dont hold that certification. Then you might as well not be a diver, God forbid ask questions with out being mocked..

Next time you have yourself an epiphany, go check out the ccr forum
I normally read the first fifty pages as I venture into my next fun foray

I agree that your best route is to go ahead and get the sidemount class done. Then make a bunch of dives before going for cave diver training.

My suggestion is to also get a cave instructor to run your sidemount course so you will be configured proper for cave diver training.

You can see a list of sidemount cave instructors at: Instructor listings - NSS-CDS Training Program

from your own description it sounds like you def need some time and possibly some help with more training in order to solidify some of your skills.

i will echo what many have already said. it may be best to get more diving in before making the decision whether to invest in more gear etc., and to use that time to do your research so you understand what type of gear you may need, should you eventually decide to move forward with your idea of pursuing cave training in sm down the road.

you said you don't know what you don't know. i agree. here is a story they may help (or not haha).....

i was an average diver (still am really). i thought my skills were just fine. i had some experience diving the cenotes in mexico and so i decided to get "cavern" certified (i was in single tank BM). it was a train wreck.
i had never been exposed to that type of training. i had no idea about proper horizontal trim. never heard of back finning. never used a reel before that. i was devastated. i almost quit diving. (yes i am way too hard on myself sometimes)
but it turned out to be the best thing i ever did. it completely changed the way i looked at diving and how i approached my training.
i began researching and watching online videos. i buckled down and started diving more locally and working hard on my skills. i unfortunately did not have anyone to hep me with this so i am basically self taught.
i returned to mexico, completed my cavern cert, and tried double tank sm for the first time in the cenotes. that was the first time i realized what it should feel like to be in the water. everything just came together.

my point is that i was not ready when i first took my cavern class. and if i had tried to do it SM it would have been even worse.

so my advise.....start building a solid foundation now. that means understanding trim, buoyancy, proper finning, gas planning, using a spool and reel, and even more importantly, how to mentally approach over head training.

you could do this all yourself, but a good technical instructor will most likely save you a lot of time and head ache. you do not necessarily even need another cert to do this. 2 or three coaching classes may be all you need to get the basics. then it is up to you work on those skills until you think you may be ready to move forward.

good luck. i hope you reach your goal. in the meantime, just enjoy diving and have some fun !!

I did my rec side mount course around the 50 dive mark, having done AOW, Rescue and some specialty courses. I took to diving pretty easily and my instructors to that point were all Tech or Tech Instructor qualified including cave so I got a lot of pointers from the start of OW to aid in my overall diving advancement. You need good buoyancy and a grip on trim and I would suggest frog kicking as well. Again I was lucky to dive with DM/instructor candidates a lot during my earlier fun dives so I was constantly getting feedback on my skills and techniques; that makes a huge difference.

I went side mount because of back issues and use LP50s for rec diving usually running about 2700-2900psi so I have 112-120cf which is plenty for the diving I do. It is a bit more complex but not excessive and if you are looking to Solo diving it is IMO a very good platform, I don't dive Tech but those I know here dive predominantly SM now rather than BM doubles. I would recommend staying with a Tech oriented dive org to do the side mount course and in the mean time DIVE and find a mentor to watch and advise you on trim, buoyancy, kicks etc.

Correct, I have taken my Nitrox class it was back to back with OW both IANTD. Didn't really see the point in expressing that in OP. I will take the advice on finding a MORE experienced diver to shadow. I can see the benefits. As far as AOW. Not sure why that class is so HIGHLY sought after. I have witnessed many AOW that shouldn't have passed OW. Not to say its not worth taking. But seems like if you dont hold that certification. Then you might as well not be a diver, God forbid ask questions with out being mocked..

AOW is just one of the beginner tickets which is basically required. It's not a particularly challenging course. If nothing else, it means you can get on to boats without arguing with them! (I like your attitude by the way!)

The Rescue Diver course is probably PADI's best course. It is the first steps into thinking about others rather than focussing on the kit or process. Once through that, provided you've a good instructor, you can pretty much say you're an intermediate diver.

Definitely find good people to dive with. Makes a heck of a difference; mediocrity breeds mediocrity. Good encourages the best out of everyone.

Before you invest more in gear, I suggest that you make a few hundred more dives with what you currently own and get extremely comfortable with it, the environment, and refine your newly learned skills. Continue to train, but go gradually into each new phase. AOW or the agency whose aegis and protocols your local instructor/LDS offers as an equivalent course might be a prudent next step, and there's no reason not to earn a Nitrox cert. As a new diver you've got enough going on to just enjoy the sights and sensations that are now open to you. Gradually incorporate new tasks, tools, and challenges and enjoy the experience.

Really?

1st off I only have 28 dives under my belt as a OW diver. But I have been considering going side mount. I own on my current gear including 2 Hp100. standard dive gear purchased from LDS after checkout dives.

My long term and I mean LONG term is to enter cave training. With that said i figure why not go side mount now and get more time on the system.

So where should I start ? Should I go ahead and take the AOW class with my current set up or take the side mount class and purchase a new set up? Is there a reason why most recreational divers don't dive side mount ? Cost ? Training ? Experience ? Or is it because it looks so intimidated and technical ?

Why SM instead of BM doubles? Many people do cave in BM doubles. SM is fiddly. I only went SM due to knee/sciatica issues and couldn't physically handle the weight of doubles. I did cavern/intro to cave this winter (in a former mine in WI).

Get the basics down. People here love to push GUE fundies. That may or may not be your cuppa. I'd suggest doing the rest of this year single tank and maybe make it a goal to take a good SM class next winter.

Why SM instead of BM doubles? Many people do cave in BM doubles. SM is fiddly. I only went SM due to knee/sciatica issues and couldn't physically handle the weight of doubles. I did cavern/intro to cave this winter (in a former mine in WI).

Get the basics down. People here love to push GUE fundies. That may or may not be your cuppa. I'd suggest doing the rest of this year single tank and maybe make it a goal to take a good SM class next winter.

Sidemount is much easier and more flexible than backmount. In caves it’s way more applicable as you don’t have a load of stuff on your back to bump into things. Diving with sidemount is so much more balanced and streamlined and is easier to carry single cylinders around rather than a heavy twinset.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom