Where to put weights on a donut type flag float

Where to put weight on a donut shaped float

• Hang it underwater

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Put it in the center, above water

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
my buddies and I are debating what’s the best way to weight down a donut shaped float. (It looks like the donut but the hole doesn’t go all the way through - it has a thin plastic cover so you could put stuff in the center)

do you hang it under water from the bottom of it?
Or do you just put the way in the center (above the water)?

Usually you'll be pulling it along with a line attached to something you hold in your hand. That provides most of the anchor. A little weight either under will help keep the flag upright if you find yourself with some slack in that line. I think the lower the weight is from the fulcrum, the better it will offset the weight of the flag and therefore the more upright it will be. I'm not sure if hanging weights on a line that is going to help that because the line allows the float to move independently from the weight. You'd need to attach the weight via a solid object or several lines so it couldn't move.

In short, under it is probably better but it should be firmly attached - not dangling.

Weight on top MIGHT work, but at some point weights on top will become counter productive. Does the manufacturer not include instructions?

I'm going to ask why? The only reason I place lead in/on my flag is in case I'm with someone who might need some. In which case in the center on the surface.

I'm going to ask why? The only reason I place lead in/on my flag is in case I'm with someone who might need some. In which case in the center on the surface.

Hmm, dont' you need to weight it down so it doesn't flip over in windy condition?

Check out this video (not mine), it may help answer some of your questions.

Never had mine flip, but then again, it is on a taut line towing me in a fast current.... Weight? I would probably have it inside the zippered cover (what mine has), maybe attached to something in there (rope loop around the tube). My one buddy's is a home made job with a milk crate suspended in the hole. I'd probably clip the weight to the crate floor...

Never had mine flip, but then again, it is on a taut line towing me in a fast current.... Weight? I would probably have it inside the zippered cover (what mine has), maybe attached to something in there (rope loop around the tube). My one buddy's is a home made job with a milk crate suspended in the hole. I'd probably clip the weight to the crate floor...

I know several that have that style, no need for weight expect as mentioned above.

3rd choice: no weights at all.

You are towing it. That's like putting a weight on it from below. If it flips over it should self-right. If it doesn't get a different one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom