Where to put surface Marker Bouy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
HI,
I would like to know where people put their Surface Marker bouys when they dive. We jsut got a couple of SMBs and last night I was trying to find a way to mount it, and i'm not sure where. We both have Zeagle Rangers, and have the read weight pockets. My original thoughts was to put in the bottom tank stray, but with the rear weight pockets that won't work.

It does fit in a pocket, but I don't like that. I would like to mount it somewhere out of the way.

Anybody have ideas?

Thanks,

Darryl

dvleemin:
HI,
Anybody have ideas?

Thanks,
Darryl

Drysuit pocket. The Ranger has 40 or 50 d-rings, right? You might use a couple of those depending on how the thing is packaged.

dvleemin:
HI,
I would like to know where people put their Surface Marker bouys when they dive. We jsut got a couple of SMBs and last night I was trying to find a way to mount it, and i'm not sure where. We both have Zeagle Rangers, and have the read weight pockets. My original thoughts was to put in the bottom tank stray, but with the rear weight pockets that won't work.

It does fit in a pocket, but I don't like that. I would like to mount it somewhere out of the way.

Anybody have ideas?

Thanks,

Darryl

Right now I put my spool and SMB on a D-ring over my left thigh (where a front-left pocket would be in jeans). My instructor had his behind his behind (no pun intended) on the outside of his crotch strap. The Orion BC I have coming in tomorrow has a D-ring there, so I am going to try and move mine to the same location this weekend.

Charley

Is it for emergencies only? or are you planning on usng it every dive?

Some people bungee it to the bottom of the backplate, but I think it would be a pain to get at easily. You could also try the side of the backplate. It also depends on how small it is when stowed..

I have a large reel and usually clip it off to my right waist dring (which is there to make sure my light canister dosent fall off when I undo my belt). This is because when I'm wearing a stage it goes on the left and I don't want it to get tangled in the stage.

Emergencies only.

I do want to be able to reach it without taking off my BCD though. I figure if I do need, there's a good chance conditions are gong to be bad, so taking off a BCD is probably as bad idea . . .

Darryl

dvleemin:
I don't want it waving around in the water, which I think would happen if its on a d ring, no?

No, not if secured correctly. This would depend somewhat on how the thing is packaged. I have one thats in a case with clips on each end. That could be clipped between two rings, or clipped to one ring and held in place with inner tube. If it doesn't have any clips, then IMO, its pocket time.

TX101:
Some people bungee it to the bottom of the backplate, but I think it would be a pain to get at easily. You could also try the side of the backplate. It also depends on how small it is when stowed..
I bungee mine to the bottom of the back plate and it works well. The d-ring on the bag is attached to a locking carabiner which stays out of the way and is snag free yet is easy to find to remove the bag.

Pulling the bag out is a smooth operation and it is comfortable as long as we are talking something in the 50 lb range. A 100-125 lb bag starts to get a little bulky.

I will also carry a 3 inch safety reel snapped to the D-ring on the back of the crotch strap. It is accessible but still out of the way and much less likely to dangle or snag than a reel on a waist D-ring.

The LDS I deal with is very Tech orientated and teaches butt(gluteous maximus) mounting. In between bladder and backplate of BCD. I use a Oceanic Chute III and it seems similar to the Ranger. Surgical tubing arrangement is one large horizontal loop between padding and backplate. two small loops around the horizontal loop and the SMB will slip into the little loops the dog clip can the be attached to a D ring on your right or left side. Not wize to pull it unless your going to use it as it can be a pain to resecure especially with thick gloves on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom