Where to practice UW photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iancampbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Seeking advice: Recommendations for where to practice underwater photography via shore snorkeling in the southeastern continental USA? I'm a snorkeler only, not a diver.

I'm looking to step up my underwater photography game and have recently gotten some new equipment. Before I make a "real" snorkeling trip someplace outstanding, I'd like to take a long weekend someplace closer by to practice with the new equipment. It doesn't need to be a world class reef or anything, but I'd like there to be more than one or two random fish on the sand. I want to be able to practice some photos, go in to a computer to review focus and lighting, go back out and try again, etc. I'd also prefer to practice in the ocean rather than a swimming pool.

Here's what I want to have:
  • Easy shore access where I can go in and out of the water repeatedly in case I need to make hardware adjustments
  • Able to safely snorkel all day long if I want to (Blue Heron Bridge is off the list because there are only a couple hours a day you can snorkel there)
  • A population of marine animals, even if sparse, but I don't care what kind or how large they are
Here's what I don't want to have:
  • Crowded beaches where I have to worry about someone kicking sand on my gear
  • Any place I need to worry about there not being any parking spots if I leave and come back (I want to review pictures on the computer intermittently)
  • Limited times per day where the water is accessible for safety or visibility reasons
I could care less about the quality of the sand or amenities. Off the beaten path is totally fine. Thanks in advance for any thoughts about where to do this.

You could check out the Jetties at St. Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach, FL.

(not my video)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom